Thread: housing

housing

hi every one,its my first time on this forum.i m getting high rate of DLA,living in 1 bedroom flat with 3 children.i made application to the council to do mutual exchange with the person living in same building who got 3 bedroom house,after 45 days later went to council to ask the progress of my application and was told that i can not get the 3 bed house because that house is not adapted and the other person who would move to myflat is not disabled.can anyone advise me what to do as i desperately want to move to a bigger property. thanks in advance

Are you on the transfer list? You should be as you are very overcrowded

yes i am since 2009.

I wish I knew if that was correct regarding your application to exchange, but I dont, hope someone with all the correct knowledge logs on soon and gives you some answers

All councils differ in the way they do the transfers 3 children and an adult in 1 bed should get you extra points or in a higher banding, are the children yours? also if you and the 3 children are all the same sex and are they under 11years old if these answers are yes then you are overcrowded but not seriously by their rules. You have to keep bidding on properties i know from personal experience that if you are in an adapted property you will only be able to exchange with another adapted property with a disabled person, but you can bid on properties for a transfer that's not fully adapted. You could contact social services and ask them to intervene on your behalf. You also need to make sure they have copies of all your medical information. Getting high rate dla doesn't affect you getting a transfer or not to be honest. You could go to cab in your area they may know your councils rules and regs, also you could ring shelter they may be able to help. Good luck with it

I should think there's a big demand for social housing in London and the waiting lists will run into years.

Doing a home swap is the quickest way to move home. I doubt that there will be many adapted 3 bed flats available.

If I were you I'd re-register on the housing list as you are clearly over crowded Also, get in touch with your local housing officer or case worker and ask for a medical assessment.

http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/housing/ho...andard-housing

Once you've been assessed you will be put in a priority position if you are prepared to move further away.

What sort of aids or adaptations do you need. If you need a wet room putting in the place you're hoping to swop with that could take several months as it's a major adaptation. As and when you leave your flat the social landlord would leave your adaptations in and promted it as being suitable for just disabled applicants.

Give us more feedback as I'm interested to see what develops.

Good luck.

I was allowed a 3 bed house as I was working at the time, married and had 2 children, so we were 'safe', the council adapted the property as well, bespoke stair lift, wet room, central heating and a redesigned kitchen. Get an OT on your side, ask for disabled facility grant applications and you could move in whilst the adaptions are not in place, as long as they plan to get them done. Takes some communication. You clearly are in need, but, depends on the housing officer, council etc.
    Good luck