Thread: Which chair for my Dad with advanced Alzheimer's

Which chair for my Dad with advanced Alzheimer's

Hello,

I wonder if you could please advise us.

My 79 year old father with advanced Alzheimer’s went in to a care home a few months ago. He went to the home largely as he stopped standing and walking and so his care became far more difficult.

He now alternates between a chair that the home has, and his bed. He won’t stand up at all, or move all that much. He will sometimes lift himself up a little to change his position or push his feet down on the floor, or occasionally try and cross his legs. He does move his arms about quite a bit. He chatters quite a bit but unfortunately very little of it is understandable. He does not understand “instructions” to any degree.

He is a tall man of about 6ft and 13 stone.

The care home are very keen for him to have a new chair, which we as his son and his wife agree would be a good idea. We are though finding it very difficult to choose one. This is for 2 reasons, mostly because we are not sure what he will be most comfortable in, now and in the future, and also as I have my concerns (perhaps unfounded) that the staff will use it to leave him tilted back most of the time so his feet rarely touch the ground. I imagine it is good for him to have his feet on the ground some of the time, so he can feel the solidity of it, and its resistance.

Could you please advise us as to what sort of chair might be good for somebody in his situation? Or offer any help or advise please?

The staff at the home have suggested one of two models from Kirton.

Thank you very much,

Stephen

Why not ask for a referral and an assessment from Wheelchair Services through his GP. They are the best people as they measure up and take everything into account. They can often supply as well or give you a voucher towards one. It is too easy to make a very expensive mistake.

Thank you for the reply. I probably should have been clearer. he is not in a wheelchair but more an adaptable arm chair with tilt in space functionality.

Try Disabled Living Foundation if you have one nearby. They can give advice on what will be most suitable for your dad.
    http://www.dlf.org.uk/

I would suggest taking advice from an occupational therapist or physiotherapist, who can measure your father and assess his needs in context, as well as providing advice on the appropriate use of the chair. An occupational therapist is probably the better choice.

You might be able to access an NHS OT via your father's GP or a council OT via Social Services, but as neither organisation is likely to provide a suitable chair, they may well not be interested in carrying out an assessment.

The home or your father's GP practice may be able to point you to someone in private practice they've used before. Failing that, I'd try Google or Yellow Pages.