Thread: PIP tribunal

PIP tribunal

Well having my reconsideration to my PIP application turned down the next step is a tribunal, I have got some help from an advocate but as this is all new I don't know if they are too familiar with PIP. I have the SSCS1 form and have drafted a grounds for appeal letter with help. This is almost word for word that I put in my reconsideration appeal and not sure if that will be enough although I am hoping for a letter from my GP to back it up but that will be dependent if it will be ready in time for me to send the completed form back, the 4 weeks you are given to do anything makes everything has to be in a rush. As this is all so new I don't suppose anyone has been to a tribunal for PIP and can offer me any guidance on the proceedings, Here's hoping.
    Phil

PS. special thanks to flymo for some very good advice and guidance.
    Last edited by phillee; 02-02-14 at 00:14.

Well, got the letter from HM Courts and Tribunal Service to say they have received my appeal. very quick response as they only got it on 06/02/2014, so things are moving on. Only down side is they are sorry there will be a delay in dealing with it and should expect to hear from them in around 11-15 weeks to tell me when the hearing will be. So by the time I get to find out when the hearing will be it will be almost a year since I started my claim, 28th June 2013, so no rush then. Still don't know what to expect at the hearing but with the support I have got it shouldn't be too bad at least I am not on my own.

Thank you for your kind comments.

The delay sounds about right, I'm afraid. At least there will be a sizeable chunk of money to come should you win.

I haven't checked the rules specifically relating to PIP tribunals, but I would expect things to be similar to a DLA tribunal. Because of the delay involved, I would think very few PIP tribunals have been heard to date.

In truth, we're all feeling our way with PIP at the moment, which is why I've kept adding information to the sticky thread about PIP and my personal experience of PIP.

The important thing is to argue to the PIP criteria, attempting to show it is more likely than not that you qualify for descriptors totalling to sufficient points for award of PIP. Wherever possible, you should base your arguments on objective evidence.

It is better to send any evidence and your arguments to HM Courts and Tribunals Service in advance of the tribunal. I see no reason not to flesh out your original grounds of appeal whilst you are waiting for the tribunal to be heard. It's always worth having the help of an advice provider, such as Citizen's Advice, to advise or even to represent you, so it's good to hear that you've got some help from an advocate..

Argue anything that might be applicable, but don't step into the fanciful. It helps everyone if you stay focused firmly on the key issues. I hope you'll get a positive outcome.