Thread: contribution based ESA or Income related ESA ?

contribution based ESA or Income related ESA ?

Went from IB to CESA last year, award for 3 years. Money has stayed the same £110.85. Been told by welfare rights officer and local council I should be getting more. that I should be getting enhanced disability premium.

Phoned DWP and was told people only get that if they are on income related esa and I am better off staying on CESA.

Could anyone please tell me if that is correct.

The premiums are only part of income-related ESA (ESA(IR)), not contributions based ESA (ESA(Cont)).

If you receive ESA(Cont), you meet the health related conditions for ESA(IR). Whether or not you are actually entitled to ESA(IR) depends on your income and any savings or other capital you have. If you are married, in a civil partnership or living with a partner, the means-test is applied to you both.

Thanks Flymo. I`m divorced and the only other person is my son, who works. I have no savings or capital. I told DWP this but she said I am better off on ESA(CONT) she never mentioned, being able or me getting IR. Just now I get the 71.70 + 34.80 for support group and the rest was for the transition from IB because they said were not to be worse off.

IR, esa from what I know is 71.70 + 34.80 + premium of 16.15 totaled 121.65. That`s 11 pounds more.

So it looks as if I would be better on IR .

No matter what, you'd continue to receive ESA(Cont). If the figures are as you say, you should be being paid £11 of ESA(IR) on top of your other benefits.

It's your entitlement to EDP that makes the difference.

However, you would have to take into account any money you receive from your son. The best thing may well be to tell DWP you wish to claim ESA(IR) on top of your ESA(Cont). You can then see how they assess your claim.

Thanks again Flymo, I thought it was one or the other. I didn`t know a person could get both. If they take into account what my son gives, then I probably wouldn`t get it. Although it costs me more than he gives to keep him. LOL. But I think I will have a wee word with the welfare rights. I got the IR figures from the council when they were assessing my rent. It was they who said in a letter I may be entitled to more.

As you have help from welfare rights, it would be well worth getting back to them, as they can advise you how to proceed.