Thread: Incapacity benefit changed to ESA - will I now lose benefit if I marry?

Incapacity benefit changed to ESA - will I now lose benefit if I marry?

Hi

My boyfriend & I decided last year to get engaged. I was at the time on Incapacity benefit & DLA high rate mobility low rate care. Recently my conditions have become more severe, living alone is now getting too difficult & we have been talking about him moving in & us bringing the wedding forward as I am needing a carer at night.

However, my Incapacity benefit is changing to contributary based ESA support group & I have been told that if he moves in or we marry that I will lose my ESA. My boyfriend is in work at the moment but could not afford to support me too & has long periods of being unable to work due to his own disability.

Does anyone know if what I have been told is true?

You will be entitled to single persons CB ESA (£106 per week or thereabouts) when living with a partner (whether married or not) working full time. You will have no entitlement to IR ESA or any of the various make ups relating to it, your DLA will remain unaffected.

Hope that helps

So basically we would be better off financially staying single with him continuing to live at his Daughters & me employing a carer at night?

I never had this problem before as My ex Husbands wage did not affect my Incapacity benefit

As I've just said you will be entitled to (you will receive) single persons CB ESA, do you understand that ????

Oh sorry, my mistake, I read it as will not, a bit fuzzy headed at the moment due to new medication. Thank you so much for your help