Thread: Why Do All Benefit Calculators Say I Can't Have Housing Benefit?

Why Do All Benefit Calculators Say I Can't Have Housing Benefit?

I went to Citizens Advice the other day, to ask if I would be entitled to start claiming HB. He briefly looked at my details and said I would be elligible. He said to try my local councils calculator and the entitledto.co.uk site when I got home.

When entering my details in these sites, they both say I'm not entitled to HB. I don't understand why. My details;

Single male
    No children
    Age 47
    British citizen
    Inacpacity benefit/ESA since 2004
    Contributions based ESA - support group
    No other income

I'm not currently renting at the moment, but will soon need to. Whether I put in 'no fixed abode' or currently renting into the calculators, makes no difference. Still says not entitled to HB.

Can anyone advise me where I'm going wrong, and if I would be entitled. Many thanks

Have You tried entitledto benefit calculator? I put in the details you gave and it said you can not have both incapacity and esa together as they are overlying so I took off the incapacity part, On housing status I put private rent and used a Colchester post code as it does not matter where You are living for this example purpose. I also put that you were not looking to claim any other benefit and had no other income ( don't know of you do!) but on this calculation You would be entitled to £102 per week HB and a reduction in Council Tax. Maybe You should try with all Your correct details using a local post code to where You are!

If you have no other income, do you not qualify for income-related ESA on top of your contributions based ESA? If you do not receive income-related ESA because you have too much capital, that capital will likely disqualify you for Housing Benefit as well. If you can only select one form of ESA and you can receive both, choose income-related ESA and see what happens.

The barrier to those sites showing entitlement seems to be something to do with the means test, as you appear to meet the nationality, residence and age requirements.

You have to put the details in as if you live alone, put an amount in for rent and council tax as well. (just put for example, £80 pw rent and £800 per year council tax)
    If you put your current details in, ie; no rent etc, it will show you are entitled to zero.
    If you do it as I did, it shows you will get HB and CTB, might also qualify for some Income support.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.