Thread: Motability refusing my application to renew

Motability refusing my application to renew

Hi guys,

First time poster, here.

Long story short, I had let my friend drive my first Motability car back in 2009, and he got caught. This led to 6 penalty points and an IN14 endorsement being put on my license in March 2010. I then got caught speeding in July 2010 which led to 3 points and an SP30 in February 2011. I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to get my second Motability car (which is the car that I am currently driving), so before I went to the dealer to apply for the car, I rang RSA Motability and told them of the points. The advisor reassured me that I'd be fine to take another car out on the scheme, and in March 2011, I took possession of the car. Fast forward three years of no convictions, and after being unable to process my renewal at the dealership, I spoke to the Underwriters at RSA, who advised me of the new rule changes, which barred IN10 endorsements on the scheme, and have directed me to the appeals process, which I have just sent a letter of appeal for.

I had no issues the last time I ordered a car on the scheme, and have been almost exemplary as a driver since I took hold of the car that I currently have. I had informed RSA of the points as soon as I could, and I received no information from Motability regarding these rule changes. I'm physically disabled and I am currently studying a Masters degree at University away from home. Without a car, I will not be able to attend University at all, and even if, in the unlikely event that I could attend, the campus is so large, I would not be able to go from the lecture theatre to the library, for instance. In a few words, my quality of life would be severely impacted, and I would have no way of being independent.

After browsing some of this forum, I am really nervous as to my chances of success in the appeal, if it isn't successful, it could literally mean my life will be put on hold for a year... Has anyone been successful in an appeal to RSA?

What was the date of the offence that led to the IN14 endorsement? The endorsement for this offence should run for four years from the date of the offence (not the date of the conviction), in which case exchanging your driving licence should result in a licence without the IN14 endorsement.

Having a licence that only has an SP30 endorsement might make the difference, but insurers typically ask about convictions in the last five years. If a fine was imposed as well as the points for the causing or permitting driving without insurance offence, the conviction is not spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 until five years have elapsed, so insurers are entitled to take it into account.

Unfortunately, RSA Motability's criteria do appear to have become tougher in the past couple of years. If they continue to refuse cover for a new Motability vehicle, you really have no option but to look elsewhere than Motability, possibly by using the mobility element of your benefits to take out a loan to buy your existing vehicle at the end of the Motability agreement. You will, of course, need to arrange your own insurance if you run your own vehicle, not forgetting to tell the insurer about your disabilities, any adaptations and your conviction history.

Another option, if Motability are willing and RSA Motability raise no objections, would be to extend the lease on your current Motability car, aiming to do this until at least March 2015 at which point your insurance related conviction will be spent.

Arguments about loss of independence and the like seem unlikely to help your case. You remain entitled to a vehicle under the Motability scheme, but, if RSA Motability refuse to insure you, cannot be one of the drivers on it. As Motability do not allow you to drive a Motability vehicle on privately arranged insurance, it sounds as if a Motability vehicle without you being an insured driver will be useless to you.

This is becoming more and more common as RSA Motability look to keep their costs as low as they can because the difference between a driver with 0 points on their license to one with 9 points will be significant from the under writers pov.

I don't have any direct experience of their appeals procedure however I imagine that there would need to be some pretty serious extenuating circumstances for them to reverse their decision.

You should perhaps begin to start making plans for a temporary period without a car. For example, look into the Access to Learning scheme - if you cannot access public transport then you could get help with taxi fares to uni. Also if travelling between various parts of the University is difficult then look into purchasing a wheelchair with your DLA funds - you can get a very good, lightweight chair for £600ish brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by Breaking Back View Post
    For example, look into the Access to Learning scheme - if you cannot access public transport then you could get help with taxi fares to uni.
    Travel costs would be looked at first under Disabled Students' Allowance, which typically pays 75% of taxi fares up to a reasonably high annual threshold, in an attempt to put you in the same position as if you could access public transport. If the original poster already has a DSA award, it would be a case of requesting reconsideration.

Access for Learning is only likely to look at needs not addressed by DSA.

I think your best option (if the appeal is rejected) would be to try and purchase your current Motability vehicle.

You need to realise that no one is automatically entitled to Motability but you still should receive your benefit (PIP/DLA) which you could use to fund a private loan or you could use on a scheme like Peugeot's 'Just Add Fuel' (which as entitled you only need to pay extra for the fuel used - like Motability).

March 2015 isn't too far away, so even if it means buying a 'banger' to get you to and from Uni, surely that would be better than quitting?
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Hi guys,

Thankfully, RSA accepted my appeal and my application has now gone through with Motability... Should be getting the new car in May due to issues at the factory, but I don't mind, cos the most important thing is I can still lead an independent life :-)

That's good news!

Thanks for coming back to update the thread.

What car did you end up going for?

Quote Originally Posted by omar01709 View Post
    Hi guys,

Thankfully, RSA accepted my appeal and my application has now gone through with Motability... Should be getting the new car in May due to issues at the factory, but I don't mind, cos the most important thing is I can still lead an independent life :-)

hi there how do you appeal i need to do the same 4 my wife thanks

Appeal directly to Motability using this form https://www.motability.co.uk/about-u...s/appeals-form

If it's regarding insurance then you may need to appeal to RSAM too, perhaps call them first on the number below:

RSA Motability
    Customer Services
    PO BOX 40
    New Hall Place
    Old Hall Street
    Liverpool
    L69 3SD

Telephone: Freephone
    0500 37 37 37
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Quote Originally Posted by omar01709 View Post
    Hi guys,

Great outcome and thanks for letting us know.