Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holidays abroad

Holidays abroad

Do i have to inform the DWP i am going on holiday if so why

No. Not unless you are emigrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    No. Not unless you are emigrating.
    Sorry to disagree but you have to inform DWP if you are in receipt of IB. They send you a form to fill in to say when and where you are going and the address of where you are staying. After the DWP receive it, it is looked at by a decision maker and then you will receive a letter either refusing or allowing IB to be paid whilst you are away.

See here
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Disabled...rip/DG_4017244

I know this as a fact as a few years ago I fell foul of not reporting that I was going away because I didn't know I had to. I think some kind person had reported me.
    Once I knew that I had to tell them when I was going away, I did report it every time and I never had a problem, IB was always allowed.
    Last edited by beau; 13-09-11 at 07:55.

I thought it was only if you were going for a month or longer. So are you saying when I visit my family for 3 days I have to tell DWP ?

Quote Originally Posted by andypandy View Post
    I thought it was only if you were going for a month or longer. So are you saying when I visit my family for 3 days I have to tell DWP ?
    That is correct, when the DWP sent me the letter I had only been gone for a week. Read through the link I gave.

mellybell4
    as i was sitting watching nothing to declare uk, watching all the silly sods getting fined for too many fags, drink etc, (me thinking silly buggers how can they not know the rules if they have traveld so much!) one couple got stopped, they were on benifits, & got a bit of a twining for not informing the dwp that they were going & told that dwp would be informed,,.... nah this cant be rite can it? so i then searched it on-line, & came accross this forum! turns out im one of those "silly buggers that dont know the rules after traveling so much"! Im going away in a few wk, as we do every year, so thought it best to contact dwp, turns out yes you defenatly do have to contact them, but as im only traveling for 7 days it will not affect my benefit, but you can also get into trouble for not letting them know,,,,needless to say i diddnt mention our previous holidays!

Well I won't be telling them when I go to visit my parents in December, what a load of rubbish !

Having read the link it says nothing at all about telling them if you go on holiday and it doesn't apply when you are visiting family because that is not even a holiday.

The link actually says that you usually carry on getting DLA for 26 weeks

Disability Living Allowance
    If your stay abroad is temporary, including a holiday, you can usually continue getting Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for 26 weeks.
    You may be able to continue getting DLA for longer if you are going abroad for medical treatment for your illness or disability. Your stay must still be temporary.
    Last edited by andypandy; 20-09-11 at 15:03.

You do not have to inform DLA unless you can't meet their criteria but for IB and ESA you do have to tell them, even if you are only away a short time.

As I said in a previous post I was written too by DWP because I had gone on holiday and not told them. Quite a nasty threatening letter.
    All it takes is some interfering busybody or a jealous person to report you to them. Not worth the risk.

I quote from the DWP site.
    Incapacity Benefit
    You must tell your local Jobcentre Plus office or jobcentre if you are going abroad. If your stay abroad is temporary, you can receive Incapacity Benefit for the first 26 weeks of your stay, if on the day of departure:

•you have been continuously incapable of working for at least six months
    •your incapacity has lasted less than six months
    •you have gone abroad for treatment of an illness or disability that began before you left

Shelly4
    Does anyone purchase holiday medical insurance before going abroad? How hard is this to secure? I don't often travel but this holiday is going to cost me a good deal. I have always notified DWP when traveling. Beau, I cannot believe some kind soul reported you. Ridiculous!
    Last edited by Shelly4; 13-10-11 at 15:42. Reason: spelling error

Yes take out travel insurance - it's a must!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Disabled...rip/DG_4018312