Thread: ESA50 form changes - question 12 in particular

Unhappy ESA50 form changes - question 12 in particular

Hi, I'm currently struggling to complete my ESA50 form, and am stuck on question 12. Both the questions and the tickboxes have changed from:

Old form 2012

Do you need supervision (someone to stay with you) to keep yourself safe?

Usually
    Sometimes (ticked)
    It varies

New form 2013

Do you need supervision (someone to stay with you) for most of the time to stay safe?

Yes
    No
    It varies

I have tried contacting DWP who weren't very helpful and would not put me through to a decision maker. I tried to make it clear that my question to them was about the question itself, and the change to possible answers.

If I now use the closest answer to last year, which is still the way my circumstances are, I should probably tick 'It varies', but that is a different answer to last year. I am in receipt of middle rate care and low rate mobility, and I am concerned that by ticking 'It varies', I am downgrading the difficulty, and this may affect the DLA.

Can anyone offer any assistance?

glasgowadviser
    I have never seen an esa50 be used as evidence in a dla decision. I have seen esa85's (the medical report) use but never the questionnaire.

I wouldn't get bogged down in what box to tick and just explain your problems in the space given.

I would think it very unlikely that a single tick box on an ESA50 would lead to supersession of a DLA award.

As glasgowadviser says, I would tick the closest box and explain the problems you have (on the page if possible, otherwise in the space for additional information or in an attached document).

As previously stated tick the closest but use the bit where you can give additional info to explain anything and everything add additional sheets if necessary i added 6 additional sheets to mine I told them everythingf and gave an explanation as to what impact each bit of everything has on my day to day living and condition . I did it as if i was explaining what was wrong with me to a 3 or 4 year old . It worked

Thank you very much for the advice. Having had to go to tribunals for dla previously, I was very wary of ticking the 'wrong' box. I have explained the variability of need for help in the box. Fingers crossed...

glasgowadviser
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    As previously stated tick the closest but use the bit where you can give additional info to explain anything and everything add additional sheets if necessary i added 6 additional sheets to mine I told them everythingf and gave an explanation as to what impact each bit of everything has on my day to day living and condition . I did it as if i was explaining what was wrong with me to a 3 or 4 year old . It worked
    I once had a client do a very detailed response like yourself but there was one problem.....part of the problem she was claiming was that she couldn't use a pen. she acknowledged she wrote the letter but couldn't see the contradiction

that's no comment on what you did just an amusing (I think) related story.

Quote Originally Posted by glasgowadviser View Post
    I once had a client do a very detailed response like yourself but there was one problem.....part of the problem she was claiming was that she couldn't use a pen. she acknowledged she wrote the letter but couldn't see the contradiction

that's no comment on what you did just an amusing (I think) related story.
    lol. imagine that would have worked out well!