Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 50 ways to save money - top tips!

50 ways to save money - top tips!

Luckily all the tips that are relevant to me I do.

I couldn't agree more with 'Making a shopping list'.

I find it hard to stick to a list, but when I do it defo saves me money. Rather than me impulse buying things that i don't really need. These stores tempt us with and make large profits from impulse buys.

The best way to cut your weekly food shopping bill is to plan meals in advance and then use a delivery service.

We use Tesco and pay £60 every 6 months for unlimited deliveries over £40, always choosing the "highest priced" delivery slots (Sunday afternoons can be over £6). This delivery saver sceheme saves us approximately £190/year not including the cost of the food.

Doing the food shop online (or using a smartphone app) has saved us approximately £1300/year!

Total saving for 30mins work on an evening is £1490/year or £125/month!

An extra added bonus is that we could book our Christmas delivery for the 24th about 2 weeks before, saving us a trip to the supermarket on the worst day of the year!
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Do not use a Credit Card, if you have one pay it off and get rid of it. If your lifestyle means that you require a Credit Card then get yourself a GOOD Pre-Paid Credit Card.

This is lots better than a Normal CC as you do not pay interest as you can only spend what you have in the account. One of the best is Cash Plus Credit Card at www.mycashplus.co.uk/ and it has all the advantages of a normal CC without any of the disadvantages.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

There isn't anything wrong with Credit Cards as long as you know how to use them properly.
    I use a Tesco credit card which gives me Clubcard points for every pound I spend, so we use this for our shopping, petrol/diesel and all other monethly outgoings and then repay at the end of the month.

We "earn" approximately £15-£20 / month in rewards which we use to reduce the price of big ticket items like our bedroom furniture last year.

I have also used 0% balance transfer credit cards in the past to reduce my previous debts to an easily payable amount.
    The balance on all my credit cards at the moment is £0, but my credit rating is very healthy because I use credit wisely.

The best way to increase your credit rating is to get one, spend a few quid a month and pay it off on time. After a year of this your score is good enough to get a mortgage - which is exactly what I had to do a few years ago.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    There isn't anything wrong with Credit Cards as long as you know how to use them properly.
    I use a Tesco credit card which gives me Clubcard points for every pound I spend, so we use this for our shopping, petrol/diesel and all other monethly outgoings and then repay at the end of the month.

We "earn" approximately £15-£20 / month in rewards which we use to reduce the price of big ticket items like our bedroom furniture last year.

I have also used 0% balance transfer credit cards in the past to reduce my previous debts to an easily payable amount.
    The balance on all my credit cards at the moment is £0, but my credit rating is very healthy because I use credit wisely.

The best way to increase your credit rating is to get one, spend a few quid a month and pay it off on time. After a year of this your score is good enough to get a mortgage - which is exactly what I had to do a few years ago.
    This great if you can Pay off your CC every month and you will have no problems. In reality not many people out there can or will do this and they keep on buying and buying and end up in Debt. The temptation to spend when you have a CC is always there and not everyone can resist it.

This why a Pre-Paid CC is an answer. With the one that I mentioned above you can also increase your Credit Score without costing you a Penny. This is the easiest and the most cost effective way to improve your credit rating and it is all done by the company and you do nothing.

I have had in my time, working life of 50 years +, many Credit Cards and I can say through experience that Credit Cards are for many not a good idea. I have found that a Pre-Paid CC is a alternative that actually works. Every month I get my Pension and Benefits paid into it and I can spend it as I will. Online, at Supermarkets, cash withdrawal from any ATM + I get CC Protection on the Goods I buy, Free DD and everything else you get from a Normal Credit Card or Bank Account.

I can only speak for me and for me this works as I have no worries about over spending or getting into Debt.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

I use credit cards like Paul, tracking my expenditure so that I know I can pay the bill when the statement arrives.

Another advantage of a 'proper' credit card over an alternative, is the protection offered on larger purchases under sections 75 and 75A of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

I use a credit card that gives me points and vouchers for all my personal purchases. I keep a track of how much I spend on it so I can be sure of having the funds to pay it off each month.

Last month though, I did a daft trick, set the payment to go for the due date, forgot I had done it and set it up again, hence 2 payments went. Just rang them and they refunded it back to my bank account straight away with no problems

I use to put my cc in credit before using it. But the banks do not like you doing this. Credit cards have better protection e.g. if you buy something that breaks as Flymo states. Those prepaid cards charge you to put money onto them and this can be a lot. When you withdraw from ATM the charge is same as cc.
    On a normal cc, do not miss the due payment date .... that really can cause problems and endless charges for months.