Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is this possible?

is this possible?

Does anyone know if its possible to have DWP payments paid into another persons account? Due to my mental heath issues im finding it very hard to handle money im in so much debt i dont seem to be able to handle paying bills and when i go to the ATM machine i either withdraw the money and leave it behind or leave my card behind, in the past 3 months my bank have had to issue me 4 new cards.
    I know i cant go on this this so i need to know if anybody thinks DWP will allow my payments to go into my sons account.
    Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Why don't you just give your card to your son and ask him to deal with all your payments and withdrawals, I did this for my mother with a simple letter to the Bank Manager - though that was many years ago. Go and speak to them at your local branch.

Yes, as i understand it, the DWP will allow you to have your payments paid into your sons account. You'll just need to notify the DWP of a change of bank account details.

If you are on any income related benefit they will want to see the statements every so often? How would that work? DLA alone is no problem. But other benefits are.

Far better and simpler, for both parties, to stick with separate accounts and delegate son to administer yours for you - in my view.

Is it legal to give your card to someone else. If there is any fraud claim etc. Bank will not be happy that others have your card.
    I am assuming it is just a debit card right? Credit card would certainly have obvious issues.

I join others in suggesting that paying your money into your son's account is the worst possible option.

One answer may be for your son to become your appointee for benefits purposes, which means the DWP will pay him your benefits. An appointee can notify the DWP of changes (and, indeed, has an obligation to do so), receives any letters from the DWP and can make new applications on your behalf.

If appointee arrangements are not right for you, it is probably best to arrange some sort of third party mandate via the bank, giving your son the right to operate your bank account. Simply giving him your card and PIN is likely a breach of the bank's terms and conditions, though, as Blackball notes, the only consequence is likely to be that they would reject any claim for fraud. It is best to make proper arrangements with the bank instead.

If your money lands up being paid to your son, it would be best for him to open a separate account for your money so that it is easy to give account of your position.

So far as your debt issues go, it might be worth talking to Citizen's Advice or another debt counselling organisation (though avoid the private companies that lumber you with further debt by charging fees). It may well be possible to save money by making arrangements with your creditors. In some circumstances, it might be appropriate to apply for a Debt Relief Order.

I'm sure it will help your mental health if something can be done to ease the stress associated with debt.

I wish you well and hope that 2014 brings some relief for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackball View Post
    Is it legal to give your card to someone else. If there is any fraud claim etc. Bank will not be happy that others have your card.
    I am assuming it is just a debit card right? Credit card would certainly have obvious issues.
    Read my first post (@2). - 'Bank Manager - Go and speak with them'.

I suppose there is the issue of trust etc. Hadn't thought of that.

This isn't only a question of the payments coming in, as flymo indicates, there is also the issue of the debt and how best to remedy that. A lot of responsibility to ask the son to take on.
    Last edited by Jard; 28-12-13 at 15:15.