Thread: savings when retired

savings when retired

Well I'm fed up with pathetic saving ISA rates and as a cash ISA matures in a weeks time with a return that doesn't break even with inflation it's time to get bold.

I'm going into stocks and shares in a tax free ISA wrapper. I'm going to use a well know stock broker Hargreaves Lansdown but do the deal on myself via the internet.

I've got a feeling that technology is taking off now that the country has turned a corner into a growing economy.

I'm not really a person who takes risks but faced with interest rates of 2% I reckon I can get a return of about 15% if I invest in BT PLC due to its yield and dividend then reinvest any money made - it's a longer term investment - not very sexy but stable.

This is a whole new relative world as I've noticed shares in companies I thought about investing in soar in price. This time I'll put my money where my mouth is so there's only me to blame. Ha!!

Not much to be made interest wise at the moment, best return I have had in the last 5 years was a government 'Kick Out Plan' taken out through a financial advisor. I would be wary of stocks and shares at the moment unless it's a 'no lose' investment which then of course means the interest gains are less.
    Sea Queen

Buy silver bullion, it's super cheap at the moment and good for a very long term investment. Garth

Quote Originally Posted by Garth View Post
    Buy silver bullion, it's super cheap at the moment and good for a very long term investment. Garth
    I agree as you can buy Silver Dollars which are .999 Pure Silver, I have quite a few. Or save up and buy Gold Sovereigns as they hold their price.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

I have a problem when it comes to spending on me.

Today I decided to go out and blow some money on a new sofa. It would need to be leather for ease of sliding on and off. Firmish cushions so you don't sink in them. Rolled armrests for comfort but not to high that I couldn't propel myself upwards to rise out of the chair. I tried out chairs from £190 to £799 and still couldn't find one that was ideal!

It was funny as the floor I needed to access was in the basement and I found myself at the top of an escalator with a steep fall. I gauged the speed of the stairs and thought no way! Little did I know there was a crowd of people bustling behind my like at a football match eager to use the escalator too! You could hear a pin drop when they were watching me - will he, won't he step on it. There was a gasp of relief when an assistant suggested I use the lift! lol

While in the basement I noticed a small cafe - far to busy with people queuing up. Saw a sign for the accessible loo. Drifted to the door, pushed the handle down - locked. I looked up to see a sign saying 'out of order' - a likely story! An assistant approached me and said I'd have to use the universal loos on the ground floor - thanks very much. Made way back to car after unsuccessful shopping trip and made my way back to my mum's house. Front door was open, walked in - 'hi mum' I say, can I use your loo. Opened back door, unzipped and peed in grid. Standard procedure at mum's house having no downstairs loo.

I like to internet shop and my little boys room is on the same level as my kitchen, bedroom hall and lounge - a little piece of heaven.

My 13 year old sofa is safe for another year!