Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How was your Christmas Day

How was your Christmas Day

I'll have to admit not being a fan of this time of year as it's very commercial, I'm not religious and I find myself drawn into this present buying thing as it's a convention - it's all a bit of a boover.

Today - packed all my presents in shopping bags and dragged them into the car. I was taking mum to see my cousin, kids and auntie for a slap up turkey roast.

First pit stop for mum and I was to visit my dad in his new care home. It's a bit like a Travellodge with en-suite bathroom in a ground floor bedroom - very accessible.

I sat in his room and mum collected him from day room. I wished him a Merry Christmas and I gave him my card and gift. He seemed agitated and mum took him to the loo and helped him with his trousers - they make residents wear incontinent briefs whether they are needed or not. Dad doesn't need them but is blind and has dementia so can't express himself to staff when he wants to go. The whole hour visit revolved around the toilet but with carol singing music in background. Mum upset and crying for the loss of her partner in mind.

Off with a car load of presents. Arrive at cousins with 10 ear old son and 5 year old girl who is into pink, dancing and fairies. Sat down at table set for 8 - lovely spread and crackers - time passes quickly. Now present opening - wow loads of presents for the kids from other family members. Favourite kids clothing appears to be a 'onesie' not a 'selfie' e.g. photo of oneself - learnt something new.

Bum and legs ache as seating at table isn't cushioned. No downstairs loo. We were due to go back to my aunts for the late evening but mum felt shattered - what luck and a good excuse to depart. Hugs and kisses, helped with coat, door sill not level - trouble stepping over it. Pitch black and cousin's car on driveway which is narrow and can't use crutch - shit! Slowlymake it to car and get in with mum and new presents. Relatives standing by car to wave off - windscreen steams up inside. Demister and air-con on. Cousin lends a hand with demising cloth and finally off into darns.

Straight forward route back to mums on empty roads. She takes a few carry bags of presents in - wrong bags but never mind. Arrive home, park up, leave presents in car. Open fridge, open bottle of wine - slouch in front of TV - ideal.

Boxing day I'm cooking a meal for mum and dad.

Well it comes but once a year - soon we'll be back to normal.

How did your day go I wonder.

Day started well, opened presents and loved what I got.
    Hubby got 4 bottles of rum amongst other things. Wasn't eating until late afternoon. Hubby refused anything beforehand. By the time the dinner was ready hubby was slurring and swore he had only had a wee toddy in his coffee.
    I checked the bottles, sad I know, but 3/4 of one had gone, I don't know about a wee toddy, I think he was filling his coffee mug with it.
    Day spoiled, dinner not enjoyed and I went to bed out of the way before I blew my top.

Was supposed to be going out today but that is now off, he will be in no fit state to drive regardless of what he says.
    Checking the buses to see if I can get where I want to go under my own steam.

Not a big fan of Christmas myself but can't get out of it.Went to brother in laws for dinner but said this morning we didn't think we were welcome and we had paid for all the dinner and he cooked it.Ate said dinner and was told if we wanted to go then we could so we did.Back home chilled out in front of telly then bed.Roll on 2nd Jan when everything will be back to normal.

All went well here on the day! First time I had cooked a full dinner and some in three years! I was a bit out of practice, but it all went well and the two sons and grandson liked it! Took me quite a while as I had to keep sitting down, but I got there in the end - even if I did have to re-warm some of the veg in the microwave. Son#2 helped to dish it out, so it got to the table in the front room without mishap.

Today I'm chilling out and recovering! I hope all of you had a good day yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    Day started well, opened presents and loved what I got.
    Hubby got 4 bottles of rum amongst other things. Wasn't eating until late afternoon. Hubby refused anything beforehand. By the time the dinner was ready hubby was slurring and swore he had only had a wee toddy in his coffee.
    I checked the bottles, sad I know, but 3/4 of one had gone, I don't know about a wee toddy, I think he was filling his coffee mug with it.
    Day spoiled, dinner not enjoyed and I went to bed out of the way before I blew my top.

Was supposed to be going out today but that is now off, he will be in no fit state to drive regardless of what he says.
    Checking the buses to see if I can get where I want to go under my own steam.
    Awww sorry beau, it's so easy to over drink before eating - then realise you have had too much - hope the rest of the festive time is better for you xx
    Sea Queen

Was set to enjoy it but brother who has a brain tumour (currently waiting for radio/chemotherapy) had a bad day Christmas eve.

SIL came round about 8.30am Christmas Day very upset so took the edge of it for me.

Anyway he's rallied round a bit now so having a walk to his to see him now as he only lives around the corner from us.

Hope you are all enjoying Boxing Day xx
    Sea Queen

I LOVE Christmas, everything about Christmas I Love. I have had a great 3 weeks searching the Internet for that perfect Gift for all my friends and Family. My wife Put up all our decorations, erected our Christmas Tree and dressed it. Every year she dresses our Living Room window scene and this year she made a Fireplace with a roaring fire and a cat sleeping in front. See below for A pic of this.

For the past two weeks our friends and family have been coming around and have added presents to our tree and by Christmas day they were piled up all over the tree.

On Christmas Day I got up at 10am and at 11am my son and his wife arrived. We all had a fantastic time giving each other Presents. for the next 90 minutes there was nothing but Happy Talk, Laughter, and lots of Good Christmas Cheer. I received lots of Presents, everything from Sugar Free Chocolate Almonds to 11 Blu-Ray DVD's. YAAA! it was FUN.

After this we all put on our coats and we climbed into my car and I drove us all out to Hallkirk where we went to the Ulbster Arms Hotel for Christmas Day Lunch. YUM! YUM!. A Great and Super 5 Course Lunch was consumed and everyone in the Hotel was full of the Christmas Spirit and we all all enjoyed ourselves very much.

Feeling well and truly stuffed and with huge smiles on our faces we exited the Hotel just after 3pm and I drove us all back to house. There we sat down and relaxed for a bit over a nice cup of tea. For the next few hours well Chatted, Nibbled Goodies, Watched TV, Watched a DVD and generally had a good time.

All too soon it was time for my Son and his Wife to go home, Sadly they did after a Long goodbye and me and my Wife reluctantly let them go. We had a Wonderful Christmas and both me and my Wife had a Fabulous Time.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

Christmas not good as my neighbour died, they turned the life support machine off.

At my in-laws this year, they are Jewish, so no Christmas for me this year
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Fantastic day at home with two son,s and daughter in law and one grandchild,dinner perfect,though realized I probably couldn,t pull it off on my own anymore, thank heavens eldest son did as much as me in the kitchen if not more.
    youngest son doesnt do helping and even commented that he had to get his own towels out of the airing cupboard at bathtime as lax mother had not put any in the bathroom(he was joking) (or he says he was)
    After a lot of I,m not going if so and so,s going (not me, I,m far too well behaved lol) from her intended guests,we all turned up at my daughters on boxing day, and my daughter in law and ex husband managed to stay in different rooms and we all had a great time.
    Lovely to see all four grandchildren together, so much so I have rashly offered to have them all NYE so that son,daughter,ddaughter in law and the daughters new boyfriend that I am not yet supposed to know about (maybe she will introduce him new years) can all go out.
    Staying in dressing gown today and eating left overs, am exhausted.
    Paul, I think you have a fantastic exciting Christmas to look forward to next year with your new addition