Thread: sick notes for six months only?????

sick notes for six months only?????

Hi all,

I have been informed today that when you are waiting for an ESA appeal to be heard your doctor will only supply fit-notes for six months.

Is this correct?

Thank you - kind regards and happy holidays - Lynn

That sounds wrong.

DWP's Getting the most out of the fit note: guidance for GPs says, on page 11:
    In the first six months of a patient's condition, a fit note can cover a maximum of three months. If a condition has lasted longer than six months, a fit note can be for any clinically appropriate period up to 'an indefinite period'.

You may need more than one fit note to cover the period until your ESA appeal is decided, but I don't believe there is any bar to your doctor issuing a new fit note when your existing one expires if he or she feels it appropriate to do so.

can't be right, i've gotten at least 7 months worth of sick notes so far (i get monthly ones, not three month ones ) so your doctor should issue you as many as you need providing you show them that you are still ill.