Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a car?

Smile Choosing a car?

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to obtain help/info on a car that I'm currently looking to lease in the new year on mobility and wondered if the good people on the forum could help with their advice please? I'm kind of undecided on what car to obtain from my list below?

The vehicles in question are BMW 318i SE Auto Saloon/BMW Series 316i S Auto Tourer.Honda CRV 2.0 SE Auto diesel.Mini Cooper Countryman SD 2.0 All 4 Auto diesel/Mini Cooper Paceman SD 2.0 All 4 Auto diesel.

My main enquires are regarding fuel- economy/performance/refinement/handing on roads and motorways/general reliability of each vehicle.Basically what will give more bang for my Pound?I live semi rural with plenty of hills and many A/B roads and unpredictable country lanes surfaces to contend with.

If anyone has had experience with any of these models (good or bad) and could give me some feed back that would be great

I've read so many different reviews from various sources that my head is start to spin.LOL

Thankfully I've found this excellent forum.

regards,
    Happyface
    Last edited by Happyface; 23-12-13 at 13:51.

I've had a diesel CRV for 5 years and absolutely love it. Would be my first choice for my next car in February but I simply can't afford the £1999 AP. I was very luck with mine, I got help from Motability towards the AP and the dealer gave me a free upgrade to the SE Navi+ spec with improved sound system and SatNav system.

Mine is the older 2L version and gives around 33/35mpg on mainly short journeys, the newer 1.6 version gives much better MPG. It's very comfortable and has a lot of room, I'm 6'5" and my son is 6'2" and there's enough room with my seat fully back for "normal"size adults to get in without feeling cramped.

Having wrote all that I just saw you want an auto! Unfortunately the only one they offer is a 2L in petrol with an MPG (real world) of around 28MPG

If you live in a very hilly place with unpredictable roads, I wouldn't suggest you went with the two rear-wheel drive BMWs, as they really won't be easy to handle in extreme weather + hills.

I test drove the MINI Countryman Cooper SD 2.0 All 4 Auto diesel, and it was a very nice drive but it was lacking in the space department. It also had a very noisy engine/tyre roar and therefore refinement wasn't great.

I'd say the Honda will give you the best refinement out of the bunch, but really you need to test drive all of these cars and if you can't get your hands on one then I would try and get a passenger ride in them at the very least - try the used market but don't tell them that you are using Motability.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Dear Pharedra/Paul,thank you kindly for taking the time to reply. I have been on a fact finding mission since my post and wonder what you think of the Audi Q3 2.0 TDI Quattro SE compare to the Honda CRV 2.2 SE Auto in a diesel?

I also went to a Mercedes dealership today to sit in the B class and found that the brake pedal was very high, my foot transferring from brake to accelerator kept hitting the side of the panel that runs flush with the drivers door with no space and when I tried to move my foot from the accelerator to the brake pedal my foot was caught under the brake several times. sure glad I wasn't driving when this happened.
    Last edited by Happyface; 24-12-13 at 13:01.

Have you considered a Skoda?

Putting their old reputation and badge snobbery aside they now make some of the most reliable cars out there.

If you want refinement and comfort then the 'Superb' is a very well made car. Absolutely huge, especially the estate, and very comfortable. Or if that's too big then the new 'Octavia' is a nice car. They both come in the 2.0TDI engine which at 150BHP is not slow.

I think you could go for either of the Audi or Honda and you'll be fine - the Honda will have more bang for your buck though.

I don't think anything in the Skoda lineup other than a 4x4 Yeti would meet your needs, they also don't come very specc'd up - basically the same engine/chassis as the Q3.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Quote Originally Posted by Happyface View Post
    Dear Pharedra/Paul,thank you kindly for taking the time to reply. I have been on a fact finding mission since my post and wonder what you think of the Audi Q3 2.0 TDI Quattro SE compare to the Honda CRV 2.2 SE Auto in a diesel?

I also went to a Mercedes dealership today to sit in the B class and found that the brake pedal was very high, my foot transferring from brake to accelerator kept hitting the side of the panel that runs flush with the drivers door with no space and when I tried to move my foot from the accelerator to the brake pedal my foot was caught under the brake several times. sure glad I wasn't driving when this happened.
    I dont think that an auto diesel CRV is available on the scheme anyway you could check with a dealer to find out.
    i looked at a Q3 Auto nice enough but put off by the poor specification for the money and the fact that options i wanted were expensive.
    Finally went for the facelifted Skoda Yeti 4x4 DSG Laurin and Klement id recommend you check one out excellent value and good specification.

Hi Samiel

Can I be nosey and ask what sort of MPG you are getting with the DSG?.

Thanks (and Happy Xmas!)

Quote Originally Posted by phaedra View Post
    Hi Samiel

Can I be nosey and ask what sort of MPG you are getting with the DSG?.

Thanks (and Happy Xmas!)
    Hi Phaedra

Seasons greetings i would love to tell you-but i can't as i dont get the car until end of January.
    The pre-facelift owners with a diesel 140bhp and dsg were reporting early 40s on the 4 wheel drive models.
    The facelift may slightly improve as it has a redesigned Haldex 5 transmission so early 40s would be a good guide.
    I believe the 2wd drive petrols do better as they are lighter without the 4wd mechanics weight.

PS Happyfeet

As you are considering higher end Automatics you need to basically ignore the Motability site as each manufacturer has their own Motability listings sites and you will only get the deposits etc from there,if you have the time to spend there are some gems lurking you will not find on Motability site.
    Last edited by samiel; 25-12-13 at 09:59.

Thanks for everyone's help.since my last visit here Iv tested a few more cars.BMW X1- M sport.very firm ride and the dealer cant get a SE trim for a test drive? Ford Kuga,not bad but from the get go the Kuga seems a bit jumpy when first putting your foot on the gas from the lights.

Kinda different to the usual suspects I test drove the Mazda 6 2.2 diesel only to find out that once I returned to the show room that the 2.2 diesel is unavailable on Motability? Having said that I found the Mazda 6 to be a nice car.I'm possibly now looking at the Mazda 6 2.0L SE-L petrol but not sure on the MPG/BHP for the size of the vehicle and if the 145 BHP will have enough power for the size of the car for over taking on our UK roads if /when needed?

Any help on the MPG/BHP would be much appreciated for the Mazda 6.
    Last edited by Happyface; 10-01-14 at 16:07.