Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: PIP success story and some reflections

Quote Originally Posted by Googles View Post
    Is it normal for the dwp to send report back to atos for clarifications does it mean there's a good chance she hadn't got the award. Should I keep ringing on daughters behalf or just wait for the letter to come.
    There have been quite a few reports on the forums of reports being sent back for clarification. It says nothing about the probability of getting an award - it just means there's something in the report that DWP do not find clear. I'd give it at least a fortnight to see what turns up in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Googles View Post
    My daughter has also just been diagnosed with another condition this week by neurologist should I ring and let dwp know of this, dwp already know of her other 3 conditions but this one just diagnosed.
    At this stage, I'd leave well alone and let the decision be made. PIP is about the functional effects of the claimant's health conditions and disabilities on the various activities, so an additional diagnosis is fairly unimportant unless it changes these functional effects.

You can always report the new diagnosis as a change of circumstances if you think it will lead to an increase in the PIP award. Once you have the decision, you will have a much better idea what to do.

Thank you so much for clearing these things up for me.

Me or my daughter never had no dealings with dwp before and pip is such a long and stressful experience and have not got a clue really if doing right ringing all the time and was very worried about the clarifications on report I thought that meant she had not got the award.

But thank you really appreciate you taking time to reply

Hi new here and need some help, best forum I have seen yet by the way , anyway bit of background. Daughter aged 17, been on DLA for most of her life, high rate care, low rate mobility, due to run out and we have received pip form. My daughter is academically bright, so no learning issues, she has Asperger syndrome, allergies,excema.asthma,hypermobility,glucose disregulation etc etc. Needs prompting to do everything, eat/drink/wash etc, I take her to college as she has no road sense (despite years of us trying) and cannot use public transport as she fears any physical contact, cannot cope with loudness/crowds. I have to pick her up for lunchbreaks as the canteen overwhelms her. Her diet is mainly soft foods as due to oral defensiveness she won't have anything crunchy/chewy in her mouth, still very tiny as she eats very little. Has weird episodes diagnosed as rare migraines where 2 to 3 times monthly she goes weak, headache, may vomit, muscle weakness, jerkiness and sleeps for hours. These episodes come on suddenly and she just drops so could not really be out alone, even if she could cope. Host of minor issues like can't use knife and fork, cannot pedal (coordination) OCD related stuff too. What should I be using as keywords as I could honestly write an essay ! and what rates do you think if any we should be striving for, Thanks if you got this far

Hi Jayne you may do better starting a thread so you don't get missed

Flymo doesn't seem to be around and he's our man with the best knowledge of PIP

but I do know he would say (and everyone else ) try to get help with the form CAB a local authority welfare rights officer and charitable helpers that may help from what ever illness your daughter suffers from

if not I suggest you take notes from flymo's approach and paint a detailed picture and get as much evidence as possible

good luck xx

HI replied earlier but mods needed to check it so I'll try again

first get help if you can CAB welfare advisor from your local council even see if theres help through charities who may deal with your daughters illness

please read through this thread as flymo's advise is brill!!

get as much supporting evidence as possible

if you have to fill the form yourself try to be as detailed as possible create a picture of your daughters life
    you may be better starting your own thread as it's easily missed up here on a sticky xx

Thank you there is a massive wait at CAB and can't get seen until after form needs to be back . The advice I have read is excellent. Can I ask did everyone have face to face? it will stress her and she won't talk to them

Think most for PIP have a face to face so sorry that this would upset her but on the flip side it may show how hard it is for her

sorry that does come across like I'm a bit heartless I'm not honestly there's nothing worse than seeing your children distressed

remember when writing the form repeatedly'reliably and safely

if flymo comes on he's very good but majority of us on here are ill so sometimes we can't get on but fingers crossed he will come on

like I said if you need anything just post a new thread and we will try and help even if it's just emotional support as it's all so stressful xx

Try your local and county council as they often have a Welfare Rights department with trained advisers.

Jayne,

I've been laid up with an ear infection, so haven't been able to get to the computer. I'm also under a lot of time pressure, so likely won't have as much time to devote to the forums for the next month or so.

PIP works very differently to DLA. DLA uses relatively abstract legal tests, where the claimant chooses relevant examples to illustrate their care and mobility needs. PIP uses much more concrete activities and descriptors, with points being awarded according to the proportion of days where the descriptors are satisfied.

As with DLA, it is the overall functional effects of the health conditions and disabilities that matters, not the diagnoses. There is no need to attribute each functional effect to a particular diagnosis.

If you have any functional assessments, for example from an occupational therapist, it is well worth sending those. Care plans are also very useful.

I can only go by what you wrote, but here are some thoughts. You need to explain everything that is relevant under each of the activities and should not assume that a simple explanation aimed at the highest descriptor is sufficient. As acheron notes, attempting to paint a picture in the decision maker's mind is a good way of thinking about it - details and examples paint a rich picture.

Preparing food will be a very important activity. A "simple meal" is a cooked main meal for one prepared from fresh ingredients, so preparing it involves peeling, chopping and so on. It doesn't matter if your daughter would never prepare such a meal - the PIP tests are hypothetical. The need for prompting will be important, as will safety issues (is she safe with a knife or a hot pan, especially in the light of her 'weird episodes'?), and describing which elements of preparing and cooking food she would need assistance with. If carefully explained, you may be able to argue successfully that she is unable to prepare or cook food at all. Make sure that you cover all aspects of preparing and cooking food, including the ability or inability to use a microwave.

Taking nutrition will need some careful explanation. Your daughter's inability to use a knife and fork is important, but will not necessarily get her 10 points (as that is about an inability to convey food and drink to the mouth). Don't forget to describe other facets of eating and drinking, such as the oral defensiveness and the assistance or prompting your daughter needs as a result. Don't forget to cover drinking as well as eating. Does your daughter have issues with consuming enough food? Does she manage a balanced diet?

Managing therapy or monitoring a health condition - it sounds as if your daughter may need assistance monitoring a health condition bearing in mind her sudden incapacitating episodes. You don't say anything about medication or therapy - these are relevant here.

Washing and bathing - you describe a need for prompting, so you should explain what happens without prompting and how the prompting influences your daughter to wash and bathe. Describe any physical assistance that is needed. Make sure your answer deals with washing, showering and taking a bath, even if it is to explain why your daughter cannot manage one or more of these.

Managing toilet needs and incontinence - as for Washing and bathing.

Dressing and undressing - as for Washing and bathing, also describe any issues with selecting clothes and with determining when it is appropriate to stay dressed. Describe any problems with shoes, socks and different types of fastenings on clothes. OCD issues could well feature here.

Communicating verbally is about speaking and listening, but also about being able to express herself verbally and understanding what she hears. Asperger's based issues could feature here.

Reading and understanding signs, symbols and words is about reading as well as understanding what is read. There might be little to write here, but there might be issues with being able to follow written safety instructions or similar.

Engaging with other people face to face is another important activity. This activity includes failing to understand emotional cues and of becoming distressed in social situations (such as the canteen or a crowd). Examples are likely to be particularly helpful here.

Making budgeting decisions - as with Reading and understanding signs, symbols and words, there might be very little to say, but don't forget to consider whether your daughter understands the consequences of her decisions. People with Asperger's can be impulsive and may spend money inappropriately if left to their own devices. Can your daughter budget sufficiently well to allow for and not spend money she will need later on for essential expenditure such as food or fuel?

Planning and following journeys will be crucial to a strong Mobility component claim. This includes the inability to use public transport (which amounts to inability to follow an unfamiliar journey according to the guidance given to assessors), as well as problems planning and following routes. Be careful to deal with familiar and unfamiliar routes - in both cases, explaining what the effect of a commonplace unexpected change (such as a closed road) would be. Make sure you explain the psychological distress your daughter experiences with journeys. It could well be that your daughter 'cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid', which will give her enhanced rate Mobility from this activity alone, though you will need to explain this carefully. You should deal with assistance dogs and orientation aids (white stick, sat nav system), though you will probably be explaining that these things cannot assist your daughter.

Moving around is about the physical ability to move around in safety without severe discomfort. Your daughter's hypermobility may be an issue here, though if she can walk 200 metres with few problems, it's not worth spending much time on this activity. Co-ordination problems are relevant here if they cause stumbles or falls.

Those are just some thoughts from the compost heap formerly known as my brain in the middle of a sleepless night with this darned infection. It is well worth reading the free Disability Rights UK guide, as that may well give you further ideas.

As others have said, it's well worth getting help from a local advice provider if possible, such as Citizen's Advice or a local authority welfare rights service.

Thank you so much that has been really helpful, I am writing everything down before I fill in the form, photo copying medical letters etc. I didn't mention meds, but yes she needs prompting, As for budgeting the fact that she would give every penny to a horse sanctuary an d not eat herself answers that . Your advice is excellent.Hope you feel better soon.