Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My landlord want's me out HELP

My landlord want's me out HELP

Hope someone can help me. I am receiving incapacity benefits and i received a letter from the agency saying that the landlords wants me out by the 21st of January ( i received the letter on the 21st of December ), apparently he needs the flat for himself. Now, i am trully worried because i have no savings ( i obviously don't work ) and i don't know what to do, will the agency help me find a place ?? How about the deposit for the new flat, i don't have money for it, will they also help me with that? How does it work?? I will call the agency off course but it's weekend and i am worried sick about it, does anyone have and idea of how it works ?? PLEASE let me know.

Thank you,

Louie Martins

The first thing to do is to check your tenancy agreement. If you have reached the point in the tenancy where the landlord only has to give one month's notice if he needs the flat for himself, you really have no choice but to accept this. Make sure you follow the check out procedure properly, especially when it comes to inspection, as that can help to avoid any disputes over deductions from your deposit.

The (lettings?) agency has no duty of care to house you, though will likely want to help you find somewhere to live. However, you need to make it clear that you are on benefits, as some landlords and even some agencies as a whole cannot accept people on benefits because they are cannot meet the financial criteria in the referencing process. Mentioning referencing, I would ask your current agents to give you a letter confirming that there were no problems with the rental payments being made on time for your current flat.

It would be worth contacting your council's homelessness section as soon as possible, just in case you are unable to find a new flat. Make it clear when you contact them that you might be unintentionally homeless on 21 January because your landlord has notified you he wishes to bring the tenancy agreement to an end. The council may be able to offer you some pointers for your own flat search.

You may find some useful advice on the Shelter web site.

Thank you for your fast reply. Yeah, the agency who dealt with the flat i am in already knows, i lived in a flat for 14 years ( 3 years ago ) and they were the ones who helped me when i had to move out. My worst concern is that i don't have money for deposit ( in case they ask )

Thanks again
    Louie

It is possible your council may be able to help with a deposit, especially if there is a deposit to come back on your current flat which would allow you to pay most of the deposit. Talk to the homelessness team - the worst they can say is no, though it's much cheaper for them to help you with a deposit than to arrange temporary accommodation if you become homeless.

i will, will call the agency first and see what to do from there, will post the updates here tomorrow for future reference in case someone else go through same thing.

Thanks again,

Lioue

Hi Louise,

Flymo is right. Your Council has a 'duty of care' to see that you are rehoused. Once your months notice is up you will be homeless and the housing department will need to find you temporary accomation.

The good news is that you'll be a proiority on the general housing register so will be rehoused either with a council home or a from a registered social landlord eg Housing Association.

Regarding deposits. Normally landlords require a months rent upfront. You might find that the aHomeless section of housing at the Council will pay this 'bond'/

It's not a nice position to be in but I'm sure things will work out fine. It's the upheavel that's distressing.

Good luck.

Nothing to add here, but I just wanted to say that I am sorry to hear this and I hope that you get something sorted out quickly. What a terrible time of year to have to go through this! Hopefully the council/Housing Association will sort something out for you, and you will be a lot better off with a social landlord.

i believe that you can get a dhp (discretionary housing payment) to pay the deposit from your local housing authority as its cheaper than them putting you up in emergency accomodation

sorry to ask the annoying question Louie but is there anyone - friends or family - who can put you up in the meantime??

You have to be careful of being put up. If Louie finds somewhere to go, he risks the council concluding that the arrangement is suitable on an ongoing basis, which would mean them not accepting him as homeless.

Obviously, the best arrangement would be for Louie to find somewhere to move to. I hope this is what happens. However, if he fails to find affordable private sector housing before he has to leave his current flat, the resulting homeless state is precious because homeless people are one of the few groups with any realistic chance of moving into social housing for the first time.