Thread: Benefit advice for 17 year old son

Benefit advice for 17 year old son

Need some advice from anyone in the know please! My 17 year old left sixth form and started an apprenticeship in October. Up until this point I could claim maintenance from his dad a very low amount) plus child benefit, and this went straight to my son as pocket money/living expenses. Today he was given his notice (his organisation are saying he was 'mismatched' to the role) and he is actively seeking another apprenticeship. He continues to get paid until mid Jan but after this receives nothing as he'll not qualify for JSA at this age despite actively seeking employment. Can I restart a maintenance and CB claim for him while he's not working but trying to get a job?

Yes, you can restart Child Benefit but as I understand it, you can only get Child Benefit for your son after 16 years old if he is in education or a recognised training course. He can even have a part-time job for up to 24 hrs a week, as long as he is in education or training. As for maintenance I do not know.

Quote Originally Posted by toxic38 View Post
    Need some advice from anyone in the know please! My 17 year old left sixth form and started an apprenticeship in October. Up until this point I could claim maintenance from his dad a very low amount) plus child benefit, and this went straight to my son as pocket money/living expenses. Today he was given his notice (his organisation are saying he was 'mismatched' to the role) and he is actively seeking another apprenticeship. He continues to get paid until mid Jan but after this receives nothing as he'll not qualify for JSA at this age despite actively seeking employment. Can I restart a maintenance and CB claim for him while he's not working but trying to get a job?
    He can get child benefit and child tax credit until he reach the age of 20 years old as long as he is in training or taking a full time course of NVQ equivalent. My son is 19 years old will be 20 years old in January, his CB and child tax credit stopped because he was taking a higher course and it was part-time, so he was not allowed CB or child tax credit.

There would be new course in January if your son can enroll in a college course should he wish and you can claim back the CB and Child tax credit.
    Last edited by helen2263; 20-12-13 at 23:08.