Thread: ESA and Housing Benefit

ESA and Housing Benefit

Hello, I would like some advice on change of circumstances relating to ESA and Housing Benefit. I know I need to inform the relevant offices should my circumstances ever change. There is a possibility I will be receiving a small lump sum payment within the next few months with other monies being received possibly every few months thereafter. If I do receive any such payments, say a £1000 lump sum payment and further payments of £50 every three months, would my ESA be reduced by that amount, and also would my Housing Benefit also be reduced by that amount, or would only one of those benefits be reduced? Any help would be much appreciated. Thankyou

It all depends on whether your ESA is Income Related (IR) or Contributions Based (CB). Though I would think your HB/CT benefit to be affected, you are legally bound to inform them of any changes in income anyway. Contact CAB and ask them for a benefit check.
    Last edited by Jard; 18-12-13 at 14:37.

Thanks Jard. I am aware that I will need to inform both the Benefits Office and the Local Authority of any change. I am concerned though that both my ESA and my Housing Benefit would be reduced by the same amount, resulting in my losing double. If say I received £50 every three months would I lose £50 from my ESA and £50 from my Housing Benefit?