Thread: PiP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

PiP

Ive just received a letter from DWP saying my DLA is coming to an end shortly. Ive phoned them up and told them I wish to claim the new PIP as requested. I have a spinal injury and in severe pain. When I eventually see eye to eye contact, can I have this done at my home. Im also suffering from depression, and got agoraphobia fear of open spaces. I cant seem to find an answer to my question. Can you help.?
    Thanks
    Ray

Did you receive an 'invitation' to apply for PIP, as there is very little known about it yet throughout the forums.

If you are already claiming DLA then you cannot claim PIP unless you are invited to do so.

My DLA is ending in Feb 2013 I have been told that I now need to claim PIP

Yes home assessments are possible for PIP.

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheFrog View Post
    If you are already claiming DLA then you cannot claim PIP unless you are invited to do so.
    That's not true.

The transitional regulations allow for a DLA claimant aged 16-64 to make a PIP claim to replace his or her DLA - in essence, volunteering to transfer to PIP instead of waiting to be invited to transfer to PIP. However, with the delayed and staggered PIP roll out, this route is only available in "reassessment areas", which are those areas where DLA claimants reporting a change of circumstances or whose fixed-term award is expiring have to claim PIP.

This is different to transfers to ESA, where you cannot volunteer and must wait to be invited.

An existing DLA claimant deciding to claim PIP voluntarily gets to choose the timing, which gives them the opportunity of getting evidence together before starting the PIP claim.

Once the forced conversions start (October 2015 is the current plan), existing DLA claimants aged 16-64 will be selected randomly and will be sent a letter inviting them to claim PIP whilst continuing to receive DLA. If the PIP claim is received within the 4 week deadline, there is no break in DLA payments, otherwise DLA payments are suspended and a further 4 week deadline is set to claim PIP. DWP will start paying DLA again (including any money withheld during the suspension) if a PIP claim is received before the second 4 week deadline, otherwise the DLA claim is closed and no further payments are made.

I can't see many existing DLA claimants converting voluntarily until we get much closer to the start of forced conversions.