Thread: can anyone tell me if this is correct please.

can anyone tell me if this is correct please.

Hi im asking this for a friend, my friends daughter has just left college and has started work she is 18, my friend is a carer to her husband who gets DLA high rate.
    My question is does anyone no if it is correct because my friends husband gets DLA their daughter who is now working will not be classed as a non dependent and her working will not affect their housing benefit claim due to the rate her husband gets for DLA.
    Mich

As far as I am aware Housing benefit is an income related thing. You do not get it because you are on DLA. It is usually if you are on Income support, JSA, IR ESA, etc. So, their Housing benefit could be affected by their Daughter working.
    I am sure someone else on the forum would have more info on this.
    They could try contacting CAB or a Welfare rights advisor. Another idea is for them to put all their details into "turntous". It is a website that calculates benefits entitlement etc.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

BB is correct, DLA is not considered for IR purposes and has nothing to do with Housing/Council Tax benefit, though I do believe Carers Allowance is - as probably are all the other benefits your friends receive. Your friends should contact the Local Authority and notify them of a change of circumstance re: the daughter.

Thankyou for your replies, im sorry but i dont think i have worded what i need the answer for.
    I was told solong as the housing benefit claimant is receiving DLA at the the middle or high rate off care it doesnt matter what work his daughter does it will not affect the housing benefit claim and she is not classed as a non dependent but if the housing benefit claimant wasnt receiving DLA then his daughter would be classed as a non dependant.
    Has anyone else on hear heard off that?

Quote Originally Posted by mich67 View Post
    Thankyou for your replies, im sorry but i dont think i have worded what i need the answer for.
    I was told solong as the housing benefit claimant is receiving DLA at the the middle or high rate off care it doesnt matter what work his daughter does it will not affect the housing benefit claim and she is not classed as a non dependent but if the housing benefit claimant wasnt receiving DLA then his daughter would be classed as a non dependant.
    Has anyone else on hear heard off that?
    Nothing you've said there matters, the daughter has had a change of circumstances, whether it matters or not is the LA's decision to make.

Hi Jard i know what you mean but is what i am saying correct just wondering if anyone has that answer?

I was told by housing benefit though this was in 2011 that because i got mid-rate care it didn't matter that my son worked or how much he earned it would not have any effect on the amount of HB we got . Wether or not CaMORON and the 2 chumps he knocks about with have changed this i do not know

Yes its correct, normally housing benefit would be reduced by xx amount because daughter is a non dependent but in this case there will not be any reduction because claimant is on DLA

Thankyou so much for your help Stig and slipmaster realy appreciated.