Thread: tax disc

tax disc

hello all changing car and phoned up for new certificate but what do I do with old tax disc do I just hand it over at post office or have to send it to dvla/benifits office ?

thanks x

Few q's.

What did you do with the old car?
    and
    Was it classed as "disabled"?
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Hi Paul it's my dad's own car he hates driving but kept it for me and uses the disabled tax disc to ferry me about but his knee is playing up so he going to change it for an automatic

not changed it yet and will probably just sell his own car on

the exemption certificate says to ring for a replacement so I did and when it comes he will sort the new tax out but was unsure where the old disabled tax disc goes x

If you are selling the old car, and it's currently "off road" then you can declare it as SORN. It would also be worth changing the classification of the car back to PLG (Private & Light Goods) which will make it easier to sell. You can then 'Bin' the old tax disc.

If the car is remaining "on road" then you will need to reclassify (as above to PLG) and then buy a tax disc for it.

Either way, just throw the old tax disc away if you are transferring to a new car - but you should wait until the new car is ready (with the new 'disabled' tax disc) - waiting will save you a bit of cash over Christmas.

Paul
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

The system has changed, Paul - for details see the INS216 leaflet.

In summary, an exemption certificate is now irrevocably bound to a registered keeper and vehicle registration combination once it is used. You have to return the nil tax disc with a V14 form (the form used to get a refund on a non nil-tax disc) and the used exemption certificate to DVLA. You request a new exemption certificate from DWP.

I expect these changes were because far too many vehicles were being disposed of with the nice bonus of free tax and London Congestion Charge exemption. It was also possible, with a bit of "creativity", to have several vehicles that were all Disabled tax by repeatedly moving your exemption between vehicles.

I don't know how the exemption is handled when changing vehicles. Hopefully you can request a new exemption certificate before the old one is returned to DVLA, otherwise you're a bit stuck when you want to tax your new car!

Of course, it will all be changing again when the paper tax discs are abolished and the tax joins the MoT in being a database entry only.