Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turned down again for Funeral Payments - help!

Turned down again for Funeral Payments - help!

I was a full-time carer for my daughter who died recently. I was on carers allowance and income support.

Her father, my ex husband was unemployed but refused JSA after using his redundancy money to pay off some of his mortgage. He was refused benefit for 6 months so was living on credit cards.

After the funeral I applied for funeral costs. It was refused because he did not have benefit.

He now is recieving ESA and so qualifies. I reclaimed but have been turned down because after my income support ran out 8 weks after my caring role ended, they put me on ESA Contribution based. This is because they gave me NI credits whilst I was caring but, unfairly, it means I do not qualify for funeral costs and so neither does he.

This is inherently unfair as I was a carer and am now treated the same as someone who previously worked. Meanwhile the funeral company are chasing and on £71pw (both he and I) neither of us is in a position to pay their bill.

Appeal won't work as it's clearly laid down in the regs.

What can I do?

Sorry for your loss and what you are going through. I've not heard of this before but hopefully someone on here as and can help you. I know when my uncle died and he was on pension and disabled benefit my mom claimed funeral cost but was turned down she was told that since her and his other sister was still alive and in reciept of state pension they weren't eligible for help and that the rules had changed so that only people who were married and both in receipt of benefit could claim the funeral help or if the person was on benefit and had no family, that may be whats happened with you especially as it sounds like her father owns his own home. You could maybe contact the funeral people and ask if they would agree to accept a small amount a month from you both. Or if your daughter had a certain condition maybe there is a charity that supports it for example mind or british heart foundation etc that could maybe help with part of the cost. You could also go to your local CAB and explain it to them maybe they can help. Hope you get some help and again sorry for your loss.

Thank you freedomeagle. I think I've cracked it! His ESA is now confirmed as backdated to cover the period in question. I have been advised to Appeal but will win as they cannot do another reconsideration.

What is a Supercession and would that not do it rather than the sledgehammer on nut appeal?

A Supersession isn't retrospective it only applies from date of application so: Do Not Take That Route.

Use the Appeal Route: this way it applies to date of original application.

Strongly advise you to speak with a professional benefit adviser about how to go about this, like CAB or similar in your area also your Local Social Services dept may have a Welfare Worker who may be able to help you.

My Condolences for your loss.
    Last edited by Jard; 09-12-13 at 12:09.

If you don't get anywhere with welfare rights or citizen's advice may be you could try Carers Uk for help?
    They have a number you can call: 0808 808 7777 or view their website http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice they may be able to pint you in the right direction of a local charity that may help.

I'm so so sorry for your loss and what an awful situation this government is putting you in.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

just bear in mind that you may not get the payment to cover the full cost, my sister died and her partner claimed the funeral payment fund, all costs were kept as low as possible but stil a bill for £1800, funeral payment he got was £800, leaving £1000 to find luckily the funeral director was very understanding and arrears paid off at £10 pw.

sorry for your loss.

Thank you everyone for your input, it has all been of use.

Supercession does not apply to Social Fund payments so I needn't worry about that now.

I have done the Appeal form and a report about how it comes under the Act and the facts of the case. It is now clear cut as the requirements for meeting the claim are clearly evident - it's just that my ex's ESA claim wasn't showing on the Departments computer as the backdate had not been decided yet when they reconsidered! They cannot reconsider again so - appeal it is! (silly!). His claim and mine for qualifying benefits now coincide with the funeral payment claim date. So there shouldn't be a hitch. Before he had no benefit claim and now his is backdated to before the reconsideration, it just didn't show up!

I have presented tribunal cases before so I am au fait with that whole thing.

I am prepared for the funeral payment not meeting the full £2200 owing and the funeral directors are aware of that but a cash sum to them now would help my case with them and de-stress me.

Thank you for your good wishes. I am keeping busy and it helps. Not looking forward to Christmas though.

Oh and if anyone gets in my position - claim funeral payments before income support runs out. I was shocked that I got ESA Contribution based after being a carer for 2 years on income support, apparently that has given me NI credits for Contribution based benefits. This means that I am not passported to anything especially Funeral Payments (when you need that most!) or loans or prescriptions etc. I might be pooped out and unable to work after all thats happened but my benefit status is worse than it was as a carer (saving the country £££'s). I don't expect royal treatment but I am not employed or able to work currently and this should be properly recognised. I am in fact discriminated against as a carer rather than an ordinary income-related claimant.

Thanks again

TLady - I am so sorry to hear of your loss, losing a child is hard enough without the added stress you have had. xx
    Sea Queen

So sorry for your loss TLady. I lost my son 2 years ago, so I know a little of what you are going through. The added stress you are having is certainly not helping you. I really hope you get this sorted out so you can be allowed to grieve properly for your Daughter.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Very sorry for your loss, hope everything sorted out in your favour and as quick as possible,Is there a Crossroads (carers support) in your area? they are very good