Thread: Meeting DWP manager in person re dad's dementia

Meeting DWP manager in person re dad's dementia

Tuesday 10 December is a life changing day for my mother.

My dad has severe dementia and now is the time for a care home to take over responsibilities as my 86 year old mum no longer has the stamina to keep him at home.

However that comes at a price. He has been assessed as needing care not nursing care. As e has savings he is being financially assessed as to what he can afford. My mum will hopefully be able to remain in her home.

Both my parents are disabled and claim the carer's allowance for each other.

Financially they lose a lot of money like
    - my dads state pension goes to the care home
    - his attendance allowance stops the end of this month
    - pension credit stops
    - carer's allowance stops
    - half his private pension stops

My mum loses out too
    - no carer's allowance

She will also be reassessed. She has a small state pension and a small teacher's pension and attendance allowance
    I'm hoping that she might get a top up being retired, living on her own and that nobody is claiming carer's allowance. She might get pension credit - we'll see.

She's been looking after dad for 4 years with support from social services. They had to pay £100 a week for support which came out of a joint bank account - big mistake.

If you are ever in this position make sure you set up a separate account for the person needing care to reduce their savings otherwise it goes against you.

Dementia is, in y opinion, one of the worst diseases as your brain ceases to function at all in the later stages. My dad needs 24 hour care, he can't dress, wash, shave, talk and gets agitated and wanders but my mum, after 65 years of marriage still sees him as her best friend. It's very sad situation with no hope of a happy outcome.
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 09-12-13 at 09:44.

lighttouch very sorry to hear about the dementia thing, i just recently lost my step mother to this in June just after my birthday. for many years things just got worse and when visiting she would think i was a total stranger which was very sad other times she would remember who i was but very sad to see the decline with no cure.

like your dad my step mother often did wandering and on two occasions vanished in our town centre till the police found her, would also often just wonder around the home just doing very strange things.

in the end she got a very bad lung infection then a heart attack took her away.

can only feel for you.

Yes Mickey there are drawbacks to old age even if your healthy. Since my day has gone into a home and my mum is on her own I realise that she to has early signs of dementia through short term memory loss. I guess at 85 that's allowable, She still drives and is independent which is great. She takes no medicines and still has all her own teeth! lol Wonder women!

My mum got pension credit after dad passed away, she just scraped under max savings, had her own state pension and dads pit pension
    Sea Queen

Dementia is, in y opinion, one of the worst diseases as your brain ceases to function at all in the later stages
    I can imagine, how completely heart-breaking to have to watch your loved one forget who they are and everyone else.