Thread: No first ESA payment

No first ESA payment

I have been moved the the ESA benefit and i am in the support group. I got my letter telling me it would start on the 22nd November 2013. I called them to ask when my first payment would be, and the lady told me it would be (yesterday). I didn't get my payment yesterday, so i thought maybe it might be a day late because of being my first payment, but again today i have not been paid anything. I called the DWP and they couldn't tell me when i was due a payment, or why i hadn't been paid. She also asked me what stage of the assessment i was in which surprised me as i have already done that and been awarded ESA SG. She told me she would get someone to call me back later today with more information. But my bills have come out of my bank and i am now over £100 into my overdraft, which will cost me another £50 for charges. I also have no money for food or anything else this week now. Has anyone had this happen? What do i do if they won't pay me? I have literally no money and now have to find almost £200 to pay back the bank for ESA putting me in my overdraft! What reasons would they have for not paying me? I've been assessed, and awarded ESA SG, but i have no first payment and no one seems to know why? I'm really concerned as to why the woman on the phone today didn't seem to think i was on ESA and that i was still being assessed? Yet the woman before that i spoke to told me my payment for ESA would be yesterday? I also have the letter telling me i am on ESA SG and my payment amount and everything. Have they taken me off it after awarding me it only 2 weeks ago? Would that happen? Sorry for going on, but i'm really worried. The last thing i need is to not have money for food, i'm a recovering anorexic and i really don't need a justifiable reason to stop eating. I'm so worried.

This kind of thing really makes me cross - how to put someone in the brown and nasty!!
    I am sure someone will come online soon who can advise you - meanwhile try not to panic too much x
    Sea Queen

Thanks, it's so hard not to worry tho lol. I'm hoping they will call back very soon to end my worry. And i really hope they can give me an explanation, as i'm going to demand one. This is not fair. I'm doing everything right. I never asked for all this change, and i never asked to have to have to rely on them for an income. Being disabled is already a struggle on it's own without having to have them screw things up even more, and especially right now so close to xmas too. Even if i do get paid, i still won't have any money as that payment will only pay my overdraft off! I'm so mad!

this happened to me on transfer.

you have two options, one is to take a copy of your award letter to your local J.C explain what has happened and let them fax it through or the other which might be best is to ring the dwp again and ask to be put through to the payment section, sometimes they can put it on a wrong system which might be why you haven't got anything.

been quite a few on here who this has happened to.

Thank you sea queen and thank you mikeydt1....i just called them back and spoke to a different lady who has now told me my payment is due on the 5th but it hasn't been released yet. I assume they are all looking at the same system? How can everyone i speak to read the same info and give me a different response? On a positive note tho this lady did seem more friendly and understood why i'm so worried. She said she has made a note of my overdraft amount to pass onto the people that will call me back some time today and see if there is anyway to contact the bank to either withdraw it as an ESA error and not my fault or at least get the £50 fee taken off, as i have never been overdrawn before in my life, so they should see it wasn't my error. A little bit of progress i guess. Fingers crossed i'll be paid on the 5th now, depending if i get told my payment has been released.

Hope your payment arrives on the 5th mim, in the meantime, speak to your bank,as most banks and credit cards will reverse the first charge,especially as you have such a valid reason for going overdrawn

I was just going to say the same as deebee.
    You will find that the bank is reasonable after they look at your record. Do not leave it up to DWP to sort for you. Do it yourself so that you are certain the charges have been waived.

Thanks for the advice guys, really helpful, much appreciated. I just had the call back and they are going to put my payment in my bank right now so i don't have to pay the 24hr £50 charge for being in my overdraft. And they have given me the actual dates i will be paid in the future. They said they will see what they can do about getting my overdraft reversed due to them having a record of my very first call where i was told my payment was meant to be yesterday. They said it was wrong of them to tell me that as it is not when i am due to be paid. I was quite shocked to hear them admit they were at fault hehe. But i will take your advice and contact my bank myself aswell to explain the situation and hopefully get something sorted. I'm so relieved this is sorted and i just hope they don't mess up with any future payments. Such a mess. They do really need to sort out their system as it's clearly not working properly, and there are very vulnerable people at the end of this mess that end up suffering even more than they already are. But thank you again guys for your advice and comments. I felt so lost at the start. Thank you x

I reckon they should frigging pay the over draft and pay you equal in compensation for the stress they have caused plus the telephone calls you have had to make to chase up their cock up.
    Sea Queen