Thread: 8 year old son dla motability changed from high rate to low rate today.

Unhappy 8 year old son dla motability changed from high rate to low rate today.

Hi, my 8 year old son who has cerebral palsy (Hemiplegic) was awarded low rate motability today, he has previously been on the high rate for the past 5 years, I feel the decision is wrong, can you tell me how I go about appealing the decision?

Quote Originally Posted by marymc View Post
    Hi, my 8 year old son who has cerebral palsy (Hemiplegic) was awarded low rate motability today, he has previously been on the high rate for the past 5 years, I feel the decision is wrong, can you tell me how I go about appealing the decision?
    Do you know the reason why, the DLA awarded your son from Higher to Low Rate Motability? I think you need to phone up DLA for appeal form (GL24) & contact the CAB or Welfare Right Officer for help etc. Is there any Cerebral Palsy Support Groups near you, you could try and contact too. To help with filling in the form. I wish you all the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Shystar View Post
    Do you know the reason why, the DLA awarded your son from Higher to Low Rate Motability? I think you need to phone up DLA for appeal form (GL24) & contact the CAB or Welfare Right Officer for help etc. Is there any Cerebral Palsy Support Groups near you, you could try and contact too. To help with filling in the form. I wish you all the best.
    Hi shystar, no they didn't give me any reason, I am annoyed because I lease a car on the motability scheme to ferry my son around and now I will have to hand it back, I live in Northern Ireland and don't have any support groups near me. x

Hi shystar, no they didn't give me any reason, I am annoyed because I lease a car on the motability scheme to ferry my son around and now I will have to hand it back, I live in Northern Ireland and don't have any support groups near me. x
    Hi Mary. 100% appeal it might be worth Checking if the GP is at fault here.
    the same thing happened to me was on high rate when it came time to renew I was dropped to the low rate even though my condition
    had gone worse (it does as I get older). Turned out that little white paper the GP gets he had filled it out all wrong, My social worker went to see him and he admitted he didn't even read my case notes and basically filled the entire thing in wrong. I did get it reversed via appeal

Quote Originally Posted by atj View Post
    Hi Mary. 100% appeal it might be worth Checking if the GP is at fault here.
    the same thing happened to me was on high rate when it came time to renew I was dropped to the low rate even though my condition
    had gone worse (it does as I get older). Turned out that little white paper the GP gets he had filled it out all wrong, My social worker went to see him and he admitted he didn't even read my case notes and basically filled the entire thing in wrong. I did get it reversed via appeal
    hi atj, I am definetley going to appeal it although I don't know if the gp had any input, there was a physio report that they requested but im not sure about gp, I will ring and ask tomorrow. x

hi atj, I am definetley going to appeal it although I don't know if the gp had any input, there was a physio report that they requested but im not sure about gp, I will ring and ask tomorrow. x
    I really do hope you get some answers Its utterly so upsetting hearing this.
    I swear this government are not happy unless they rip everyone's lives apart yet blatant money wasting is being allowed to happen

I rang DWP today and told them i was not happy with the award so they said that another decision maker will have a look at it, so fingers crossed they may reconsider their decision.

Do you have any cerebral palsy support groups in your area? If you do end up having to go to appeal I would enlist their help.Best of Luck