Thread: Claiming PIP, as a carer?...

Claiming PIP, as a carer?...

At the start of this month, I requested a PIP form for myself. My son gets ESA and DLA, and I get IS and CA--a total of £100 per week, plus money to help from my son. Six years ago I tried claiming for DLA and felt as if I was being mocked at a medical, where they told me to bend to pick something up and that was that. But my spondylitis/spine is getting worse as the years pass and £100 + the rent my son gives me is hard to live on.

My fear is this: since my son gets indefinite DLA, he should be safe from PIP until at least Oct 2015. His needs are mostly mental as he suffers from Asperger's, so me detailing my physical limitations and my own struggles with depression shouldn't affect my son's claim for DLA or my claim as a carer. But at the end of the PIP form, where you sign, there's a declaration that allows DWP to look into the other benefits you're on and I'm afraid they'll view me sending the form as a 'change of circumstance' and use it as an excuse to switch my son over to PIP early; risking losing most of the money we currently get.

Does anyone else have experience with this? I can't find anything on the internet about being a carer and claiming PIP at the the same time. Can't decide whether to bin the form or not. It's got to be returned by the 4th. I'll probably get called to a medical, get asked to pick something up and fail again, anyway... I picked a bad time to try to claim again, given that PIP has just come in. They will no doubt book me in for a medical - which won't involve me being examined - and that'll be that.

The eligiblity criteria for PIP are quite tough in some areas. Why not ask for help with the form from a welfare officer or CAB, as your situtation appears complex.