Thread: Going abroad outside of the EU while on ESA

Going abroad outside of the EU while on ESA

I'm planning to go abroad next week for 6 weeks outside of Europe to visit family, I'm currently on Employment and Support Allowance. The dwp website says that "If you are temporarily in another country, you can continue to receive either contribution-based or income-related ESA for the first four weeks of your absence, as long as you are unlikely to be away for more than 52 weeks."

My question is this the case for every single person? Or is it decided on a case to case basis whether you are entitled to 4 weeks of benefits while abroad?

Thank you.

P.S I've asked this question elsewhere and received some idiotic responses such as snide remarks about being able to afford to go abroad for 6 weeks while on benefits, just to clear things up incase anyone is gonna post the same thing here - it's being funded by my family, hence the reason I'm able to go and see them.

I'm having difficulty establishing if this is a serious question or not.

How are they gonna know where you are for 6 weeks unless you phone them up and tell them..? No-one is going to understand why on earth you would do that...

Quote Originally Posted by LonelyFatGuy View Post
    I'm having difficulty establishing if this is a serious question or not.

How are they gonna know where you are for 6 weeks unless you phone them up and tell them..? No-one is going to understand why on earth you would do that...
    If you're saying what I think you're trying to say.. isn't that some type of benefit fraud or something? I don't really want to put myself at risk of getting a criminal record. If they try and contact me about something while I'm not here for 6 weeks then I'll probably have alot of explaining to do when I'm finally reachable.

Just inform them, they will send you a form to fill in although you have left it a little late. On the form you have to put the address where you are staying. They then authorise the payments for when you are away. Can't say how long you will be paid for though

Yeah the timing is an issue, the length of time they take to send anything out in the post is ridiculous, combine that with the weekend coming up and me leaving practically monday night/early tuesday morning I'm not sure if I can get a form back to them in time. I was just curious on the payment more than anything, I've read conflicting things online about not being eligible if you travel outside of the EU or stay within it.

I have holidayed outside of the EU, only for 2 weeks max though, and never had a problem. Your best bet is to give them a ring and tell them, explain the short timescale.
    You can always make the excuse that you have just found out that you have to notify them.

By the way, it is no one's business as to how you can afford it etc, especially on forums.
    Last edited by beau; 20-11-13 at 10:40.

Quote Originally Posted by tnemelE View Post
    If you're saying what I think you're trying to say..
    I don't "try" to say anything, I just say it. Whether it's considered benefit fraud to spend 6 weeks of your life somewhere else then come back home again, I don't know, but I would hope most sane people would agree that it's not a crime.

My point is that you're only causing yourself unnecessary stress. Unless your award is ending soon and you are actually expecting to receive a form then you shouldn't be worrying about it.

But by all means go ahead and try and acquire a form so you can tell them where you are. It will come on Tuesday morning and you'll spend 6 weeks worrying about it lying in your hallway.

My advice - don't live your life being concerned about what other people think. Go and have a good time, the climate will do you good. Who funds your holiday is nothing to do with anyone else. Have a good time and return home feeling the benefit of some sunshine. Susie