Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Markets. after some advice please.

Christmas Markets. after some advice please.

Hi everyone

My partner is taking me to a Christmas market at the beginning of December. We have not been before, so are after some advice regards accessability etc.

We will be going to either Birmingham or Manchester. Our journey will be by train from Stoke.
    As far as I can see from the respective websites, Birmingham is a straight through journey from Stoke to New St, but Manchester is from Stoke to Picadilly, then the metro to Victoria?
    With regard to Manchester it seems to be fairly spread out in several locations, one of which has cobbles. Birmingham seems to be all in one area.

Has anybody been to either of these markets. If so, how accessible are they for wheelchairs, are there hills, inclines etc?

I am trying to decide which one to go to, if I should use my wheelchair or walker etc. We will only be going for a couple of hours as I tire quickly, but we want to make the most of out time whilst there.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Hello BB64,
    Been told Birmingham is v/ good (lots there), but you should look at Chester (smaller,but covers virtually the whole town and very atmospheric) by someone that knows (the wife). The Boss & workmates do one each year, it's Oxford or thereabouts for them this year.

Hope you enjoy yourselves.

Thanks Jard.
    I will have a look at info for the Chester one.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Hello bb64
    An update for you, been told by the brother-in-law Manchester is really good, he used to live there a few years ago and he's going up for this year's - & we live in S.Wales !!.

My Sister-in-law has just been to the Manchester one and said she did not find it as good as the Birmingham one. All a matter of preference I suppose.
    We have now decided not to go to any, due to me being very poorly of late. By the time my other half has helped me get up, showered and dressed, I am already worn out! So, we thought it best not too push too hard with a full day at a Christmas market.
    We already had the dog booked in the kennels for the day though, so we are going to see how I am on the day (next Tuesday) and if I am on a reasonably good day, we will just go to a local shopping outlet.

Our closest Christmas market is Lincoln.We have never been but from what friends have told me it is extremely busy and crowded and the don't think we would cope very well on a mobility scooter or in a wheelchair.She thought for us it would be a waste of time as we wou'd'nt be able to get close to the stalls to have a look at things.

That was another consideration barbiejane. At the moment I would have to use my wheelchair and as you say. we can't always get close enough to see things properly.
    I am not good with crowds at the best of times, so it is probably best we stick to places we know.
    The Mum-in-law is coming out with us, which is great. We get on really well and she is a tremendous support to both of us.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblu64 View Post
    My Sister-in-law has just been to the Manchester one and said she did not find it as good as the Birmingham one. All a matter of preference I suppose.
    We have now decided not to go to any, due to me being very poorly of late. By the time my other half has helped me get up, showered and dressed, I am already worn out! So, we thought it best not too push too hard with a full day at a Christmas market.
    We already had the dog booked in the kennels for the day though, so we are going to see how I am on the day (next Tuesday) and if I am on a reasonably good day, we will just go to a local shopping outlet.
    Have you been to the shops at Trentham ? It's lovely there this time of year. I stay n the Premier Inn there when I'm visiting family & friends

Hi ap.
    Yes we go to Trentham a few times a year, as it is just a short taxi ride away for us. I really like it there, but we do have a problem with my wheelchair in some of the shops. We do visit the gardens as well a couple of times a year.

baby blue, as you know I live in South Manchester but I don't bother with the Xmas markets. I used to work in central Manchester and could step out of the office into the markets! I guess the novelty wears off as I know what to expect. http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/50...mas_market_map

Still as I said before, if you're well enough head to Manchester's Arndale Centre where shop mobility is and you can park up for free and get an electric scooter. http://www.shopmobilitymanchester.org.uk

I'm meeting up with my Malaysian friend at the Virgin Lounge on Wednesday as she's a member then to the Printworks for an oriental lunch.

There are lots of wheelchair friendly places to visit in Manchester. If you booked in at a Travellodge or Premier Inn on line you can get some super saver deals.