Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help finding somewhere to live on benefits.

Help finding somewhere to live on benefits.

Does anyone have any advise on what I could do.

I can no longer go on living where I am living now, it has become unbearable and making my health even worse.

I am on ESA and DLA. I know there is a cap so I won't be entitled to very much at all and I'm not homeless so not likely to get a council place.

What should I do/look for.

I also have a dog who I couldn't leave behind as he is more therapy to me then anything is.

Thanks for anything, not sure if there is anything I am even entitled to.

Only thing to do is contact the Housing Officer at you're Local Authority, with all your circumstances, your disability may carry some wait especially with DLA.

I'm not too sure, I think they are inundated in this area.

Would I be able to contact another one or does it have to be my local one, only because I know how there are so many more poeple then house available here.

My heart really goes out to you.

Do you have any kind of support worker/social worker that could possibly help you build a case to get a place?

Shelter may well be able to help you. http://www.shelter.org.uk/

Or what about a refuge if things are that bad.

I will have a look at shelter thanks.

I don't have a social worker and no one knows what I have to endure, not even a dr, tbh no one would believe it anyway.

The only reason I am staying is for my dog, so if I can't take him then I'll stay. I would be on the street tonight if it wasn't for him as I just cannot take anymore really.

I'll give a few people a call. I can't go on here it's making me worse then I already am.

If push comes to shove I'll have to try to rent somewhere cheap.

Sadly it all depends on the issues and circumstances concerning amalie's problem as to whether she'll get rehoused with any speed, and many landlords don't allow dogs nowadays.
    Awfully, i'm aware of this 'cus I knew someone with a little lad who had a horribly volatile relationship with her (then) partner, and because she would not leave her dog and cat, her options were severely limited with landlords and housing associations.

Hopefully, it's all changed now.
    Last edited by ivb; 13-11-13 at 18:19.

Quote Originally Posted by amalie View Post
    I will have a look at shelter thanks.

I don't have a social worker and no one knows what I have to endure, not even a dr, tbh no one would believe it anyway.

The only reason I am staying is for my dog, so if I can't take him then I'll stay. I would be on the street tonight if it wasn't for him as I just cannot take anymore really.

I'll give a few people a call. I can't go on here it's making me worse then I already am.

If push comes to shove I'll have to try to rent somewhere cheap.

You're right, we don't know what you have to endure. But you also don't know what others have to endure.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but, if your situation is truly that bad, you wouldn't stay just for your dog. You would get out of there and then try and retrieve the dog at a later date or even put the dog into a kennel/have the dog stay elsewhere until you are sorted.

I will offer you the advice of maybe trying to get a support worker..can make a world of difference.

I have just realised that I have come across as a total cow in that post..I really didn't mean to.

:/

flowerangelx, that's pretty much my sentiments too. I've said it before myself.
    Last edited by ivb; 13-11-13 at 19:37.