Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Chronic Pain.... HELP!!

Nothing like that near here, I have looked at trikes but they are too expensive and I would be a danger anyway. Not allowed to drive because of my severe balance and dizziness issues plus memory problems. I struggle to use my mobility scooter, the number of times I have had near misses crossing roads is unbelievable. I see traffic and it doesn't register or I forget it is there.
    I do use the static bikes at the gym but can have no resistance on it as it is too painful to pedal, plus I go to a disabled aquasize session weekly.

I know I seem to be negative but I do try to carry on as much as possible. I don't let it stop me within reason. I do lots of voluntary work even though I suffer for it. I am not one who focuses on the pain, in fact I get told off by hubby for attempting what I know is going to cause me real pain.

Lighttouch, have you tried cycling with bad knees? lol

Hi DizzyDee strange as it may seem if you and a friend rode a side-by-side trike tou wouldn't find it to difficult even with bad knees. Besides which you only do the amount that's comfortable. And as I cycle on an outdoor running track you're never far from where you started.

Alternatively you could use a hand trike where you pedal using your arms. In fact I know of a number of wheelchair users who are great hand cyclists - anything is possible and it's a bit of fun.

Cycling is actually good for bad knees as it strengthens the muscles to take the strain off the knees. Just don't do it if it causes pain, that is why I have no resistance on the static bike at the gym, any resistance and it hurts like hell.

I use the static hand cycle at the gym for cardio exercise because I am un able to use the treadmill now. I put as much effort as possible into all that I do there.
    Last edited by beau; 05-01-14 at 19:28.

Just about to visit my all ability cycling club as it's dry, not to cold and no wind! It only costs £ a session. I even reserve a specie German trike for me. I couldn't get on or off it safely on my own and as I use it on a track it's fairly safe unless a novice cyclists cuts in too quick.

I tend to find pain disappears when cycling - but my legs are usually shot when trying to get off the bike.

Must go before the weather changes!

Saw ortho yesterday and even they admit I am between the devil and the deep blue sea with nothing to offer until after the end of Sept when the offending drugs will finish.

Pain clinics solution doing no good at the moment, was told about 6 weeks until I may see a result. 6 weeks on treatment now and no positive result. Was suggested to give it another couple of weeks and get in touch with them and arrange an earlier appointment than July as it now is.

TBH, my life has come to almost a halt, can't get to my voluntary work which kept me busy or go out independently to anywhere I can't get on my scooter. Sept can't come quick enough for me.
    I know my carer will take me out in the chair but it is not the same as mooching round on your own.

To make things worse this situation plus constant excruciating pain and not sleeping properly because of it is making me feel really down and that is not like me. Usually I am strong enough minded to drag myself out of this way of thinking but I don't seem to be able to achieve that at the moment.

I have found the only way to reduce my chronic pain is by using a T.E.N.S machine at its highest setting as well as taking my Naproxen and Cocodamol pain killers.

I bought my own T.E.N.S machine as the waiting list for my local NHS pain clinic was too long. It is a Med-Fit 1 which I believe is the one used by the NHS.

hi daringsupercaitriona,i myself suffer chronic pain spasims,i never ever got much relief from a T.E.N.S machine i used to be on naproxen500mg,i stopped them myself after my cousin had a bleed in her brain, (this is one of the side effects napproxen can coz)you may be better to ask your dr for different pain relief,im now on oxycontyn slow release morning & night & i have fast acting oxycodone 20nm tabs that work really quick, i think you would benifit from a change of your pain meds do let me know how you get on,god bless you & best wishes Lorac x

I'm on the Naproxen as it is the only drug that has worked for me.

I wear my T.E.N.S most days. I found for me it takes at least 1 hour to work. My physio says that it can be used for a maximum of twenty hours.