Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Urgent help needed please failed ESA

Urgent help needed please failed ESA

Hello All,

I am seeking some advice if possible on behalf of a neighbour of mine, her name is Angela, she suffers from depression/learning disability and other health issues! She was on long term IB in September this year she received her ESA50 Form filled it up and send it without even photocopying the filled ESA form and of course she failed!

She recently came to me for help, apart of being out of her mind with worry, she was told by Job Centre to google online about Handbook and fill in some forms to claim for JSA, she doesn't have a computer to fill in those forms online to apply for JSA so I helped her using my computer. I can honestly say she has great problem understanding anything, I had to do everything for her, she didn't have an email address before I created one for her, she's never used a computer, she's barely ever worked because of her mental health, she live on her own without help from anyone.

The JC has put her under so much stress she just cannot cope anymore nor can she face them on Monday. Today again she asked me for help. I've told her first thing she must do is go to her GP and tell him of her situation, JSA knows of her mental health because when reading her paperwork I saw they've stated about several health issues, she has booked an appointment for Monday to see her GP, I've told her to make sure the GP give her a sick note saying she cannot attend the Monday's appointment and that she is not fit to participate in any work program, nor is she fit for work at the moment and to make sure JC send her a letter confirming of the cancellation, her daughter will be ringing JC on her behalf.

My friend has asked me for help to get her get off JSA and on ESA. I can honestly say she is not aware of anything and have trouble taking anything in, I believe she filled in her ESA50 without knowing how bad filling those forms are and that is it very different for when she filled in her IB Form. Please can someone please advice me if it's possible at all to get her to claim for ESA. I will let you all know the outcome of her appointment with her GP and hopefully something can done, she does also have alcoholic problems also, she lost her flat few years ago. She used to live just 3 doors away from me.

Is it possible to get a copy of her ESA50 form from the DWP? I have nothing to go by to see how she filled in the form nor can she remember anything about filling in the ESA50.

Any advice would be much appreciated in this matter. Please note this is a new genuine case and do not relate to my recent post about ESA50.

many thanks in advance.

Just telephone the DWP and ask for a copy of your 'neighbours' ESA50 form. They will send you it.
    Normally, I am never one to recommend the CAB, but given the issues that you mention, I think that the CAB should be sought to help your 'neighbour' in this case.

You can also contact your local Social Services dept and ask to speak with a Adult Services Welfare Worker and explain the situation to them, they should be of assistance.

I am so very sad to read of your friends plight, it has similar threads running through it as the young person I am currently trying to help.
    Bless you for caring enough to help her, and good luck x
    Sea Queen

You can get the lass concerned to appeal this decision to find her fit for work.

You need to get hold of a GL24 form which should be available from the J.C, fill it in stating that you wish to appeal to the decision made but also at the same time as the lass has been found fit for work then she will also need to send the dwp an unfit for work sick note which she can get from her doctors.

gl24 form can also be downloaded here https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ision-is-wrong

if you both go ahead with appeal then do make sure to ask for the assessment rate and any thing you send please keep a copy and send anything recorded delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeydt1 View Post
    You can get the lass concerned to appeal this decision to find her fit for work.

You need to get hold of a GL24 form which should be available from the J.C, fill it in stating that you wish to appeal to the decision made but also at the same time as the lass has been found fit for work then she will also need to send the dwp an unfit for work sick note which she can get from her doctors.

gl24 form can also be downloaded here https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ision-is-wrong

if you both go ahead with appeal then do make sure to ask for the assessment rate and any thing you send please keep a copy and send anything recorded delivery.
    Just wondering has she actually ended her ESA claim by signing up for JSA? If so would the appeal outcome not only be relevant from the date she was told she had failed to the date she signed up for JSA? Can she submit a new claim for ESA just now, is linking still allowed?

Definitely think you should get your neighbour some help from Social Services/Welfare about this if she isn't already getting some form of ongoing help. Will also help with any new claim or appeal to have supporting evidence from this service.

Thanks everyone for your replies, no she didn't end her ESA she was on long term Incapacity Benefit it was the migration from IB to ESA, she filled the form and sent it no photocopy nothing, speaking with her I don't think she is aware how bad the DWP is and how things has changed since she last applied for sickness benefit, also she is not very good with her reading either, now she has realised how bad her situations are and of course she just cannot cope and has sunk deeper into her depression, she is seeing doctors tomorrow I've told her to tell her gp about her illness and to get sick note. Her daughter is ringing the DWP first thing on Monday she was going to tell her to ring when she's been to the doctor but I told no, she must ring first thing before her appointment time is due with the DWP.

Thanks everybody for your advices, I will certainly contact social services and professional benefits advices on her behalf and go from there.

Appreciate all your help.

I understood that anyone migrating from IB to ESA could not be found fit for work unless they had a face to face assessment. It would be a good idea to check this out first.

Quote Originally Posted by anniea View Post
    I understood that anyone migrating from IB to ESA could not be found fit for work unless they had a face to face assessment. It would be a good idea to check this out first.
    Thanks for your reply, I've got a feeling the DWP has gone by the way she filled in her esa50 form, because she said she sent the form and then received the letter saying she has been put straight to JSA. I will be asking for a copy of her esa form and see how she's filled it in, by the way is there a form to fill in to ask for her the filled ESA50 form?

If she did not have a face to face assessment you need to get a copy of the ESA 85A. Go through all paperwork. I am sure she should have had an assessment before being found fit for work. She can appeal the result. If the decision was made before the 28 October she will still be paid at the assessment rate. It's very sad that people like Angela have to go through this system without friends like you. I myself have been through it and it's very hard. Best wishes to you both.