Thread: Water Sure Scheme, cap your water bill.

Water Sure Scheme, cap your water bill.

Hi folks just wanted to ensure we are all familiar with the above scheme.
    Severn Trent who I have my water from run this scheme along with other water suppliers. Basically how it works is if you're on certain benefits, on a low income, have certain medical conditions or have three children aged under 19 you can get your water bill capped at Severn Trent's average bill which I think is £335 a year.
    I qualified as I have 4 children under 19 and qualify for child tax credits along with a low income. I'm on a water meter and my bill was over £40 a month, it's now capped at £30 and a few pence a month and even if my water usage goes up my bill will remain at the lower level.
    I'd link the site if I knew how to. It's going to save me over £120 a year, was easy to apply for and would be good to pass this on to some of you and hear a few success stories. It's not a huge saving but it helps.
    I searched this forum and couldn't find anything about it so I thought I'd share. Just make sure you let me know if any of you research it and you qualify as it will make me happy that I've helped someone.

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyDee View Post
    Thanks for the link Dizzy, I'm not the best on this kind of stuff.
    Regards Garth

What irritates me about these schemes is that if you are on Income-related Employment and Support Allowance that's ok. If you are on contribution based, then no go. I can't understand why they should differentiate between the two; whichever you are on, you have a low income. I applied for the warm front scheme from my gas/electric supplier and was told that because I'm on contribution paid ESA and not Income related, I don't qualify.

Hoever, if you are on income based ESA, get your application in!

Jay I got it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay123 View Post
    What irritates me about these schemes is that if you are on Income-related Employment and Support Allowance that's ok. If you are on contribution based, then no go. I can't understand why they should differentiate between the two; whichever you are on, you have a low income. I applied for the warm front scheme from my gas/electric supplier and was told that because I'm on contribution paid ESA and not Income related, I don't qualify.

Hoever, if you are on income based ESA, get your application in!
    Jay I got them both and I'm on contribution based esa, I've got no savings and my income is low. I also have four children aged 10,8,6 and nearly 2. Double check.
    I qualify as I have my children and they are all under 19 and in full time education.
    Last edited by Garth; 09-11-13 at 19:29.