Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High Street Access to Shops Campaign

Leonard Cheshire were conducting an access campaign a while ago, not sure if it's still on going.
    My friend campaigns herself using the local Law centre representative for the legal side. I must say that she has had a lot of success over the last few years as well.
    Some places will hold their hands up and say ooopppss sorry we hadn't really thought of the disabled others will dig in and think she will give up! No chance! So they end up complying eventually.
    One eating place even verbally harrassed the law Centre officer saying to him 'what makes disabled people think we are accessible to them!' They went on to put in a lovely large accessible toilet which of course benefits mums with buggies as well.
    You can all take on someone and with help make a change.
    Sea Queen

One issue I would raise, & not sure if you are ware of this. I can give examples where shops have similar portable ramps, but do not always use them. I am not in a wheelchair, but some shops have a step/steps that are far too high for me, I know of wheelchair users who have to use such ramps in shops. However, on more than one occasion the odd shop has said they cannot put the ramp out as they are too busy, or they person who is trained to do that is not working at that time, or they only allow one person in a wheelchair in the shop at a time (That has not happened to me personally of course), on at least 3 occasions in different shops I have been told they do not know where the ramp is. I ahev also been told that I cannot use such a ramp as I am not in a wheelchair. The simple fact is a ramp is not just for wheelchair users.

I feel that people need to be educated on the basics of such matters. There is no point having a ramp if they will not use it when it is needed.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

I appericate I may be bumping an old topic here, but if any of these are within the Arcadia Group, can you please PM me, I know a few things which I don't want to publish here, but it's one thing I am working on and I know people there and I'm already trying to get them to sort out one branch which seemed to get forgotten about for a year, after raising it initally, but if I can help please let me know

We cannot send messages on here. I have no idea who owns want. One shop is Sony in town. Is it still there?
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen