Thread: How will my benefits be affected if my partner moves in?

How will my benefits be affected if my partner moves in?

Hi everyone, i really hope someone can advise me on my current situation as i am so new to the benefit system. I gave up work a year ago to look after my 3 year old daughter as me and my partner split and childcare was neither cost effective or what I wanted. I currently get £71.70 income support a week £63 child tax credit a week and £20 child benefit, i live in a privately rent house of which me and my ex also my daughters father manage the rent between us as his name was still on the lease and instead of any CSA involvement i was more than happy with our arrangement.
    Within the last few months me n my partner seem to be getting our relationship back on track and would really like to start living together again. I have been on Directgov benefit adviser and included my partner and it gives me sum figures which would be as helpful, saying we would be entitled to roughly £90 working tax plus the child tax credit i all ready recieve but i assume this is less my income support which isn't a problem. My partner only comes out with £1100 a month and after rent plus 2 boys he pays over £250 CSA for a month (£575 per mth rent) we wouldn't be left with a lot if all my benefits were to stop. So basically before we go ahead and make the move n inform the relevant people is what the benefits advisor telling right or would we be expected to live on his income alone?

Have you tried "turntous"? You put all your details in and it works out what you may be entitled to. You can do it on your details alone and then with yours and your partners details. That way you would have an idea of the difference.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Hi
    Thank you for your reply, yes i have been on there and it gave me a more accurate answer but i want to know if i would still be able to claim my income support as the child tax and working tax is considerably less and would be very difficult to live on

I would suggest that you are in need of some up-to-date and correct information. So I believe that your best place to receive this from is CAB. Give them a Phone call and make an appointment with one of their advisers and I am sure they will be able to give you all the information that you require so that you can make an informed decision.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah81 View Post
    Hi
    Thank you for your reply, yes i have been on there and it gave me a more accurate answer but i want to know if i would still be able to claim my income support as the child tax and working tax is considerably less and would be very difficult to live on
    If you are living together and your partner is earning your income support will stop, child benefit is ok but I am not sure about child tax credit.