Thread: Esa - medical assessment appt. 18 november 2013

Angry Esa - medical assessment appt. 18 november 2013

Hello, I have been on ESA since Feb 2013, prior to that was on JSA for five months. When I first claimed ESA was invited for assessment but after completing ESA50 completing summary and sending medical reports, they said no need for assessment. However, yesterday, I received appointment letter for ATOS assessment at one of their centres 8 miles away. I suffer from mental illness - clinical depression, social anxiety, and find it extremely distressing to leave home. Last outside to see GP on 24th September 2013! Mental health problems are exacerbated by physical problems. When I do travel it has to be by cab. I phoned ATOS yesterday, said I require home visit, and was told can be done at bequest of GP. I sent a letter to my GP, copied to my carer asking that she request a home visit by ATOS. Today I sent a strongly worded letter to ATOS, copied to my carer, GP, MP, Greenock Benefit Centre and Psychologist outlining the reasons I cannot attend for assessment. I also emailed my MP - Tessa Jowell, advising her on how the punitive and arbitrary behaviour of ATOS and DWP are impacting genuinely unwell people like myself and how we are being judged as defrauders of the benefit system, rather than supported. How can they guarantee I get to my appointment safely. How can I afford it when I am awaiting a referral to the Trussell Trust foodbank, and have Stepchange helping to manage my debts. £50.00 for a cab fare. Sorry cannot be done. Is there anything beyond the above that I should be doing?

No, i think you are doing possibly all you can.
    Sadly, even if your GP informs ATOS that you are too unwell to travel to an assessment, ATOS have the final decision on it. And, if ATOS say that you must attend then sadly that is that!! ATOS have the final say as far as i know! BUT, on a positive note, they might well agree to do a home visit - all you can do now is await their decision i'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by ivb View Post
    No, i think you are doing possibly all you can.
    Sadly, even if your GP informs ATOS that you are too unwell to travel to an assessment, ATOS have the final decision on it. And, if ATOS say that you must attend then sadly that is that!! ATOS have the final say as far as i know! BUT, on a positive note, they might well agree to do a home visit - all you can do now is await their decision i'm afraid.
    Thank you for your reply. I will await their decision.