Thread: Modifying Microwave Knobs

Modifying Microwave Knobs

Anyone had experience of modifying these for the blind?

(This was originally only used by MIL who is profoundly deaf so talking microwave won't suit.)

The power knob is OK because it clicks and can be set by turning a certain number of clicks. The problem one is the minute timer which has no pointer on it and the minutes numbered all the way around this which cannot be read.

I wonder whether anyone has replaced a knob with another one designed with some sort of pointer (top to bottom piece sticking out?) together with a circular additional overprinting with bumps which can be slipped over the original minutes markings printed on the machine?

Any comments on experiences of people managing or not managing to make it work for them before I start attempting to be creative?

I do not know fo such a place offhand, but Social Services, your GP, health workers, etc, might be able to advise. You may also wish to contact one of the many blind or deaf charities as they are a wealth of info.
    Last edited by Stepheninleeds; 20-09-11 at 19:43.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

tactile marks

You could always apply small blobs of teh 3D T shirt paint (available from craft shops) to the main switches eg every 5 min mark or similar. You can buy it in flourescent colours too to provide a good contrast. You can buy 3D 'bump ons' from places like RNIB or GDBA but these are much more expensive than the T shirt paint. Good luck!

Now that is a great idea. I need something like that, but mine is the touch-type.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Whycan'tI? View Post

Any comments on experiences of people managing or not managing to make it work for them before I start attempting to be creative?
    Oh I think 'attempting to be creative' is generally what keeps us all going Some entrepeneur should get a team of us together to bring stuff into existence that would solve more of these types of problems. Good luck. I'm sure you'll come up with a solution.