Thread: Should i claim esa?

Should i claim esa?

Hi, my name is Andrew, i'm 42, i am currently getting carers allowance for my mother who suffers with mental illness, i myself have been ill since 2004 with Health Anxiety and depression which has got a lot worse in recent months, i have just done 12-13 weeks of CBT which didn't really help, i have now been referred to the psyciatric dept at my local hospital and i start with them in january, i have never claimed any benefits for own illness even though i have been like it for over 9 years, i mentioned it to someone in the citizens advice a few weeks back and he said i should, but i don't know if i should what with the carers allowance, i am getting a lot worse lately though and for all i know i could be eligable, looking after my mother doesn't affect me too much as i feel comfortable enough at hers, my wife has started driving me there though as i am taking medication and am drowsy a lot of the time, my doctor also says she is going to increase the medication even more soon too, what i want to know is should i stop claiming carers allowance and claim esa for myself, or claim both, i don't know what to do

am i not welcome here?

Hi Andrew, I've joined the forum today, saw your post. I can't answer your question buy just thought I'd say hello. It's a minefield the benefits system. Hope you get some answers re your question. All the best Garth.

thanks for that mate

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew71 View Post
    Hi, my name is Andrew, i'm 42, i am currently getting carers allowance for my mother who suffers with mental illness, i myself have been ill since 2004 with Health Anxiety and depression which has got a lot worse in recent months, i have just done 12-13 weeks of CBT which didn't really help, i have now been referred to the psyciatric dept at my local hospital and i start with them in january, i have never claimed any benefits for own illness even though i have been like it for over 9 years, i mentioned it to someone in the citizens advice a few weeks back and he said i should, but i don't know if i should what with the carers allowance, i am getting a lot worse lately though and for all i know i could be eligable, looking after my mother doesn't affect me too much as i feel comfortable enough at hers, my wife has started driving me there though as i am taking medication and am drowsy a lot of the time, my doctor also says she is going to increase the medication even more soon too, what i want to know is should i stop claiming carers allowance and claim esa for myself, or claim both, i don't know what to do
    Could be no one is sure of what advice to give. I think you can make a claim for ESA , all you need is a doctors note and a phone call to start the process. However with regards to being a carer and receivng carers allowance, and claiming ESA in your circumstances I'm not sure. Would depend on whether any of the things you help your Mum with contradict the reasons why you're claiming ESA? Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I am will be along to answer this.

Also if you are very drowsy all the time , are you well enough to care for your Mum?. Suppose it would depend on the help she needs? Think a visit or phonecall to CAB or welfare/benefit advisor would be your best bet. And would help outline the finacial implications if any.

Hi and Andrew and yes of course you are welcome.
    Sometimes the forum drops a little quiet but eventually someone comes on who can answer any questions you may have.
    let us know how you get on please
    Sea Queen

Hello Andrew
    Your situation is very complex, were I you I would pay heed to the excellent advice of sfu - & seek the advice of a trained adviser like CAB.
    I have also read quite a number of accounts on the forums over the last year or two of people who have done the opposite to what you're considering. That is give up their right to ESA because of all the hassle they put us through and claim carer's and Income Support instead.
    So I think that is something to bare in mind in you're decision making, as it is you're decision and no one can make it for you, just do it has best informed has possible. Talk to a trained adviser, good luck.

NB: Something else I think you should consider from what you've said is your Contributions Record, would you qualify for CB (Contributions Based) ESA ???. As, if your wife works full time, amongst other considerations, you wouldn't qualify for IR (Income Related) ESA.
    Last edited by Jard; 31-10-13 at 20:36.