Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESA payments and private pension

ESA payments and private pension

I am in support group and new year will turn 60 and a pension becomes available, only about £800:00 PA so roughly £16:00 a week.
    Do I declare this? Will it reduce ESA?
    I know about the £85 Per week allowance so I assume it works the same in support group.
    Just want to double check for peace of mind.

Definitely declare it , then you've covered yourself . think it probably will affect your ESA especially if you're on means tested ESA.

I am in support group, which is neither contributory nor means tested based,
    What reason do you think it will affect mey ESA over and above the £85 PW allowance?

Couldn't agree more, cover yourself by telling them.

If it is a situation that requires declaring then I have no issues with declaring it. But seeing as the sum is below the £85 allowance, do I need to declare it? Or do I just have to notify if it is above the £85??
    The way I see it is this: I just notify anyway......... it gets dealt with...I get a letter back two weeks later telling me I do not need to notify because it is below the threshold. So the knock on from me sending an unecessary letter is that DWP staff waste time on dealing with me when they could be dealing with items that get through someones claims and payment.
    I was after the actual facts of the case.....asking if anyone was actually aware of what the case in this situation is.
    Never mind, I will go trawl through some documentation. Plenty of that about.
    Thanks for your opinions anyway, appreciated.

vikstar
    Quote Originally Posted by stree View Post
    I am in support group, which is neither contributory nor means tested based,
    What reason do you think it will affect mey ESA over and above the £85 PW allowance?
    This is not possible. No matter which group of ESA you are in, your ESA will either be Contribution Based, (non means tested) Income Related, (means tested) or a combination of both CB ESA with IR ESA top ups, in which case receipt of the IR ESA part will be subject to the means test.

If all, or part of your ESA is IR ESA, then any amount of income from a private pension will be classed as household income for the means test.
    Last edited by vikstar; 23-10-13 at 12:11.

Vikstar,

I understand what you say. I claimed under contributory rules, but understtod that once in support group the 365 day contributory ruling was disregarded, so asumed that the contributory basis then ceased.

You have to remember Stree people on here are NOT paid experts but people who have found themselves in similar situations so everyone does their best to help so a pretty stroppy reply when people have tried to help is NOT the way YA works

Andy Pandy

Pray show me where I have been stroppy? Is "Appreciated" it? Is it where I said "thanks"?
    Is it because I do not use flowery twee language and just speak as I find?
    I KNOW folks here are not experts, I am one of them too. I was seeking perhaps more than just general concencus on what people felt was the solution and more "Has anyone come across and dealt with this themselves" kind of response.
    And I DO appreciate that those folk took time and effort to help me, albeit by playing safe rather than by identifiying the official stance on the situation, which is ideally what I need. In essence they are perfectly correct in their responses but unfortunately they take me no further.
    Hence my saying I had better trawl through the official documentation which I would rather have avoided.
    Not snotty sniffy or stroppy. Just straightforward simple and to the point. and like most people ill, anxious and a bit lost.

Hi stree yes you must declare it to dwp, it may not have any impact as you say because your CBESA and its below the £85 week
    it will also be taken into account if you get Housing Benefit where it will make a difference to the amount you get