Thread: Attendance allowance

Attendance allowance

Hi
    Im 65 and just retired. Im disabled and claiming DLA and hight rate mobility. I might lose this to PIP next march. Talking to a friend, who say I can also claim Attendance allowance on top of DLA. My walking is limited as I broke a few vertebals in my spine Im in contant pain, and on morphine base patches to ease the pain. I have a family who helps me get my meals and help with cleaning. So can I also claim this benefit
    Thanks
    Ray

In a word no.
    AA is the alternative to DLA for over 65's.

As i understand it, PIP is only affecting 16 to 64 year olds.
    As you are 65, you will remain on DLA as long as you satisfy the conditions. You won't be affected by PIP due to your age.
    Even if your condition worsens, as you are already on DLA, you could apply for a DLA review.

If you were 65 years of age on or before 8th April 2013 then you will stay on DLA.

If you were 65 Years of age after the 8th April then sometime in 2015 you will be asked to claim for PIP.

The magic date is 8th April 2013.

No you can not have both AA & DLA. If you apply for AA then you would lose your DLA. Also you can not get a car from Motability if you are awarded AA. You can get a car from Motability if you receive either HRMC of DLA or ERMC of PIP.
    Last edited by Kodiak; 18-10-13 at 14:09.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe