Thread: The Wright Stuff re; On Benefits and Proud.....Channel 5 9pm tonight.....

Senior Member ***Force_Majeure_007***'s Avatar

Lightbulb The Wright Stuff re; On Benefits and Proud.....Channel 5 9pm tonight.....

I rang The Wright Stuff programme this morning as they ran a phone in, asking whether you felt proud or ashamed of claiming benefits?

I rang in during the adverts to ask on behalf of both my husband and myself, whether they were including disabled people in this question, their answer was yes, it includes everyone.

So I told them that I'd rung to say that my husband and I neither felt proud nor ashamed but that we are both disabled and the benefits system is there for a purpose and that we are entitled to extra help that we get.......

After the adverts Matthew Wright then said before the phone in actually happened "Surely you're not going to tell me that disabled people should hang their heads???"

The media are picking on the poor again by airing On Benefits and Proud tonight which will inevitably create even more stigma regarding benefit claimants and disabled people, yet they don't show programmes about the rich businessmen that don't pay tax.

I'm sure others will have their own views regarding this matter.....

FM007.......
    Expect the worst and hope for the best!!!

What it should say at the start of the program is -
    This program was brought to you by the Nasty Party
    I will not be watching it

PS do you think this program would go ahead if the couple were black or Muslim - thought not
    Last edited by Richard; 14-10-13 at 19:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

PS do you think this program would go ahead if the couple were black or Muslim - thought not
    I soooo agree with you Richard! Spot on!

In America there are over 56 million claiming benefits and it seems they are more worried by what would happen if they can't pay them with the debt ceiling lurking as there would be less going back in to the Economy, for 1 dollar they get, 2 dollars is spent and going back, here in the UK they choose the opposite stripping those of benefits so in theory less going back to the Economy, was all ways in the back of my mind with this till i saw it on t.v

as for foreign people here, a case of authorising, stamping and putting in a filing cabinet not to be seen again from the grape vine of the dwp. spot on Richard.

anyone one see the running man film showcasing prisoners? well welcome to running man part 2 showcasing and demising those on benefits in the UK.

I watched the programme. It is just another case of sensationalist, cheap to make T.V.

The people shown are not a true representation of those in the benefit system. The T.V companies search for the claimants that will enforce the views being peddled by the media and politicians.

We do not see programmes being made about those claimants who are genuine, wether it is for JSA, DLA, ESA . etc. We are all lumped together in the same pot as lazy, good for nothing scroungers. It does not matter if you are sick/disabled and cannot work, if you are on JSA but cannot get work, even if you want to. It also enforces the view that anyone on benefits gets everything paid for them. I have lost count of how many times I have had to tell people that I pay my rent, council tax, prescriptions etc.

I for one, am sick to death of hearing that we are what is wrong with the country!!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

SPOT ON Richard can not agree more with you

Quote Originally Posted by mikeydt1 View Post
    In America there are over 56 million claiming benefits and it seems they are more worried by what would happen if they can't pay them with the debt ceiling lurking as there would be less going back in to the Economy, for 1 dollar they get, 2 dollars is spent and going back, here in the UK they choose the opposite stripping those of benefits so in theory less going back to the Economy, was all ways in the back of my mind with this till i saw it on t.v
    I think you'll find this was a point made and proven, at the time of the fat wallet bankers scandal, by the last Labour Govt.

I like the Wright Stuff.
    The host, Matthew Wright does tend to defend people with disabilities and seems to have a good moral compass - a rare thing in tv these days.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Society would collapse if there were no benefits. Would not even be a society. Are there any alternatives?