Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chest pain

chest pain

I know there are a few of you here who have had heart attacks
    I have a question
    last night I woke at 3am with pain in my chest
    it was tight, heavy and felt like something was pressing down on the middle of my chest
    I got up with the thought of ringing 999, but the pain only lasted 5mins so I went back to bed
    i do have a hiatus hernia and had had a late heavy meal,so I put it down to indigestion
    should I have got checked out?
    would the ambulance crew have thought I was making a fuss?

No definately not, I was told to dial 999 with any chest pain even if I only needed an antacid in the end. So many people put a heart attack or angina down to indigestion with fatal consequences.
    The fact that you had a heavy meal causes blood to go more to your digestive system therefore starving your heart of oxygen if you have a problem.

Get yourself checked out, go to A+E now, do not wait for another episode. Blood tests will tell if you have had a heart attack or an angina attack. Better to be safe than sorry.
    DO IT

it is a hard one to call with having the hernia and the symptoms you got but when i got chest pain even when i suffer with chronic pain i still went to a+e a few times and they do check to see if you have had any heart attacks along with other things.

it was only through one trip that i then had the angiogram which then showed the problem, doctor even agreed it was the right route to go down, as beau mentions don't put off going.

mike

thank you for your advice beau, will do

back from A&E, I have pleurosy

Oh, thanks also Mikey, think our posts must have crossed cos I didnt see it before I went

The lesser of two evils. Pleased that you did go and have a diagnosis before it got any worse. Antibiotics will hopefully sort it out asap.

havnt got antibiotics,apparently it can arise from infection, but can also arise from a virus, I had had the dr out on wednesday as my chest was "singing" but she said it was clear ,said it was a virus,and that she thought I would be feeling a lot better by Friday
    hospital told me to take regular paracetamol and ibuprofen
    told hospital I am not allowed to take ibuprofen due to my APS
    we agreed that the naprosyn that I have for emergency short term use only could come out of the cupboard
    might email the prof as pretty sure my sjorgrens has been flaring lately and the two can often be linked and a course of steroids might be required,no point asking gp as there is never any joined up thinking regarding the fact that I have auto immune diseases .

Even though you haven't got AB's at least your mind has been put at rest re heart problems.

yes, have to admit I panicked a bit,can actually tell it is pleurosy now (have had it before) never had that crushing before though, was pretty scary, and you were right, ambulance crew and A&E staff were more than happy to check me out and the consultant seemed chuffed to bits when he discovered what it actually was,he had been poking me all over asking does that hurt and I kept saying no, but when he poked where the inflammation is I nearly hit the ceiling!
    He laughed and said "I,m so glad that hurt, I now know what you have"