Thread: 8% energy price rise announced before Winter

Thumbs down 8% energy price rise announced before Winter

And the others will follow.

Its been 10% and 15% and lord knows how many percents for years now, David Cameron says he's going to say somthing this time.

The greed is getting out of control now and it sickening.

We pay more anyway as we are on pre-payment meters. I actually prefer this though, as we do not get high bills, we pay as we go and it makes us more economical with gas and electric. What I do find annoying is that we pay more even though we can never get in debt, pay for our energy up front etc.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Gawd, I'm still paying off last year's bills. Looks like I will just have to turn off the CH, and just keep one room warm!

Like you say Katana, the greed is sickening.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblu64 View Post
    We pay more anyway as we are on pre-payment meters. I actually prefer this though, as we do not get high bills, we pay as we go and it makes us more economical with gas and electric. What I do find annoying is that we pay more even though we can never get in debt, pay for our energy up front etc.
    If you change over to EDF energy then you wont have to pay more for a prepayment meter

As an aside I wouldn't mind betting the vouchers for the £135 wont be paid until after everyone has hiked their prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay123 View Post
    Gawd, I'm still paying off last year's bills. Looks like I will just have to turn off the CH, and just keep one room warm!

Like you say Katana, the greed is sickening.
    Crikey mate, thats horrible you are still paying off last winters bills with a new Winter coming up

I've done the usual frugal measures before ... Its horrible, nobody should live that way in this day and age

I'm pre-pay myself just now and a very contentious person who never wanted to get in debt, but because of buffoonery by incompetent providers you can still incur debt pre-pay ... I spent a large part of 2013 fighting Npower (Atos too) about a false £1400 bill for their pre pay mistakes, if it was not for the fact I'd worked in a call centre dealing with these very issues the last few years of my life and earned good insight to how it all works energy wise ... I'd have just paid the £1400 or so back in a payment plan like any vulnerable person would.

There should be laws against incompetence like that.

As said ... I chose pre-pay for this house because of my dread of debt, also love the idea of home USB top ups on my PC as I'm quite physically disabled now ... but I've spent the last 9 months fighting with British Gas for this and getting fobbed off every time ... I'm going full meter this time and with all the better future safe tariff options they do.

I'm going to call BG and negotiate proceeding's right now and I wont be scared to use the OFGEM word that usually gets things done.

If you can find out if you are eligible for any energy efficiency measures from your local council. Over the years I've had two or three loft insulation top ups so it's now 9 inches thick, cavity wall insulation and a new replacement boiler all free plus energy saving lightbulbs.

My gas bill is twice that of my electric bill. I get discount through getting electric and gas from the same supplier, discount for paying by direct debit and paperless bills.

Use this website to see if you can get a cheaper deal through another supplier and fix the rate before things start going up

http://www.uswitch.com/gas-electrici...pcmsn~gen~1163

We've just had a refund of £250 as our direct debit was set too high.

Quote Originally Posted by seriouslyfedup View Post
    We've just had a refund of £250 as our direct debit was set too high.
    Yes that can happen. I prefer to overpay what's expected and I pay just the same amount in the summer so I'm in credit for the winter run up. That way I can keep the heating on longer in the winter knowing I won't go into debt.

Actually budgeting is a great idea. I pre-plan all my bills in advance so for xmas I start putting money to one side each month starting in January! That way nothing comes as a shock and I have the money ready when any bill comes in.And I only have one credit card and I always pay the lot off when it's due so I don't pay any interest.

I changed my current account so now my bank pays me to use their services!

We're not that organised so just pay bills with direct debits and Scot Power are forever overcharging, as this has happened before. Wish we could be ahead with our oil bill all the time as it's very high these days, but no other options, as there's no gas out here.