Thread: How many points on license can second driver have for Motability

annieann

How many points on license can second driver have for Motability

I have a motability car and have had them for past 10 years due to RA. My husband is driver . I am learning to drive as he has accrued 12 points on his license and he is having an op in a few weeks so wont be able to drive for 3 months at least. I have no other driver to take over taking me out and it would be a real struggle taking buses and also have a son to take to school. i was wondering if I returned my present car before my lease ends next april, and change it for an automatic which I can learn in, can my husband then be the second driver to sit with me as I need to have to learn, even with his current penalty points - they are all sp30 btw and no we never informed motabilty of his points - something which I have just discovered I should have done. if I tell them now when changing the car will they allow him to be my named second driver?
    thanks

Is your husband disqualified? A total of 12 points usually results in an automatic disqualification and a TT99 endoresment, athough not always! If he is disqualified then he will not be able to supervise you whilst driving.

With regards to Motability you will need to contact RSAM to see if they will accept your husband on the insurance policy as they can and do refuse people with motor convictions and endorsements. If he is disqualified they he obviously won't be allowed on the insurance.

You should call RSAM now regarding the points your husband has, as he may now not be covered.
    Last edited by vantage; 06-10-13 at 18:41.