Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I need some hints and tips on how to save money on fuel bills!

Hi Jay. I totally understand the need to save money on utilities etc.

I have a Breville One cup kettle. Although it is the same wattage as an electric kettle, it only takes 30 seconds to boil and dispense one cup. So much easier.

I have gas central heating but no piped gas, so use LPG gas bottles which cost £65 each. I need 4 of these to run the central heating for 4 weeks! So, you can well imagine, I can't afford to buy any gas. My hot water also runs off the gas. I don't buy gas through the summer, so don't have hot water in the summer. In the winter, I do purchase one bottle, and ensure it runs for 3 months by washing up once a day. Thankfully the shower is electric!

Therefore I use an electric radiator during the day in the sitting room, with all doors closed. Layers of clothing, socks, thermal vest, gloves and scarf. In the evening I wrap in a feather duvet.

My daughter has bought me an electric blanket, I look forward to getting into a cosy bed this winter.

My energy provider - I am on the AGE UK tariff, which is a good deal lower than a standard tariff. I also receive £135 winter payment
    (warm home discount scheme). you have to apply for this approximately May each year. This is paid into the energy provider account. Such a shame though that it isn't paid into bank account because I could then purchase gas bottles to warm my home. This is means tested for those on Benefits, and available for people with disabilities or over 50.

In the rooms not used during the day, I keep the curtains drawn so that any warmth (no matter how minimal) is not lost through the windows. I have made my own curtains with an extra lining of batting (fabric used in quilting).

Wishing you a much warmer winter, Susie

Hi Susie, have just checked the AGE UK tariff and it isn't provided any more.

It might sound silly to some but have you thought about getting solar panels.We had them fitted through one of the free schemes.It has saved us roughly £20 a month.Through the summer months we have only used electric that we pay for when the sun goes down.We have freezers fridges electric cooker dish washer pond pump telly and all run for free when the sun shines or it's bright day.Anything that wants charging i.e phones we make sure they are done when we are getting the free electric.We don't get any money back from what has gone into the national grid as we did'nt pay for the panels but we do get free electric most days even in winter .
    One company that comes to mind that do them is ashadegreener or google free solar panels.My thing these days is just ask they can only say no.

Well thanks for all the replies, folks! And thank you for taking the time and trouble to type them all out for me I'll be following a few of the suggestions up as soon as I can.

The largest thing I have to sort out is the HA... going into the 5th winter now without any resolution. They sent someone out the check the cavity wall insulation and it's duff - as in, the original insulator drilled a row of holes and then just put a squirt of foam behind them, so there are voids top and bottom of this line, and 'nothing can be done'. My house is like a fridge - I go outside to get warm - even in the summer!

The HA installed a little fan heater to warm the front room (where I spend a lot of time in the evening) which eats electric like it's going out of fashion. I've asked for a gas fire to be put in, and no chance. They frown on my LPG gas fire, but it's the only way to get that room warm. The CH gets the whole house warm, but as soon as any form of heating goes off, it only takes approx half an hour before the temp has dropped back to zero. They sent a gas chap out to check the chimney and said it wasn't safe to have a gas fire in there... frankly I think that's a load of bull. There was a gas fire installed before I moved in, one of the neighbours confirmed that. But having electric fan heaters saves the HA having to service a gas fire, y'see.

On the inside wall I have the spare bedroom which is warmer, so I might just move a chair into there, and the tv and stay in there for the winter, although that will be depressing.

Here's one thing I have recently changed. I have started using a small travel electric kettle instead of the large house kettle. The travel kettle power is 250-1000w...(slow to boil, requiring patience!) the house kettle is 1850-2200w (fast to boil). Will this make any significant saving on the electric?

I also wondered about the microwave wattage as I do a lot of cooking/heating wheatie bags using that - would a hot water bottle be cheaper? And using the gas cooker to heat things up rather than the microwave? Or am I clutching at straws here?

I did phone my service provider (shame they didn't mention it before now!) and they told me about a grant towards electric bills for people on benefits. I've downloaded the form, filled it in and sent it off, so we'll see.
    Last edited by Jay123; 28-09-13 at 10:03.

Hi SusieB and anyone who's using lpg. My other half use to deliver gas in tankers occasionally if something was ill he would deliver bottles as a holiday cover or sickness cover and he found that he would go to houses to caravans trailer parks sometimes the poorest people would be the ones to tell him to take away a half filled or half empty bottle of gas when he yuste said to say no you don't need to change this bottle you don't need a new 1 this week they were so scared of the gas running out and not being able to relight pilot light some gas cookers and things like that they would say take a bottle and change it I want a new 1.

So for anybody find themselves in this situation my advice to you would be to follow the advice of the bottled gas seller if he is not the owner of the company and askham for help these guys that we use to call in the bottle boys there on basic wage they understand and will help anyone even though they're not supposed to and a two quid tip goes a long way when your on basic wage and you get to save the price of a new bottle of gas.

Do you have a tenant advocate or representative in your area ? If you don't know try contacting the HA tenant liaison officer.
    A tenant advocate can often help and will represent you and negotiate with the HA. Your MP or a councilor could be of some help.

Cancel your direct debit with your energy supplier and set up a standing order this gives you control and set it to an amount you can afford but make sure the amount covers your current usage.You can then negotiate with them to pay back what you owe. They will try and pressure you into paying the debt over 12 months. You only have to pay what you can afford and they have no right to demand more from you it is against the law.
    If you have TRV's fitted on your radiators turn them off or down to minimum in rooms you are not using. Close all doors to rooms not in use. Do you have loft insulation if you do check the depth there is a minimum requirement and if your present insulation does not meet the standard you can ask for it to be replaced. Most of your heat is lost through the roof so good insulation will help a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornwall View Post
    Hi Susie, have just checked the AGE UK tariff and it isn't provided any more.
    Hi a very good morning to you. I don't understand this information. I have applied and just received mine for this winter. I have telephoned and they confirm it is still available. Maybe it is because it is too late to apply for this winter? There is a cut off point each year, so you have to get the application in as soon as they make it available - May.

Quote Originally Posted by susieboots View Post
    Hi a very good morning to you. I don't understand this information. I have applied and just received mine for this winter. I have telephoned and they confirm it is still available. Maybe it is because it is too late to apply for this winter? There is a cut off point each year, so you have to get the application in as soon as they make it available - May.
    Morning Susie,
    this is what I found http://www.ukpower.co.uk/gas_electri...rs/e-on/age-uk so perhaps I have misunderstood it. (more than likely)
    EDF have stopped their cheaper tariff, I suspect this is due to the government telling the companies to stop all the confusing tariffs and only have 3.
    The warm home grant (£135) is still available though

Hallogen heaters are brilliant we run 2 in the winter in living room and it keeps large living room heated good enough. our quarterly gas bills in about 28 and winter one about 40