Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I need some hints and tips on how to save money on fuel bills!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricos View Post
    Hallogen heaters are brilliant we run 2 in the winter in living room and it keeps large living room heated good enough. our quarterly gas bills in about 28 and winter one about 40
    I have one too, it also gives off lots of light so I don't need a lamp on lol

Quote Originally Posted by susieboots View Post
    I have one too, it also gives off lots of light so I don't need a lamp on lol
    Bad thing is though with these they normally crap out 1 or 2 bulbs every year, but still bills work out cheaper with than without!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricos View Post
    Hallogen heaters are brilliant we run 2 in the winter in living room and it keeps large living room heated good enough. our quarterly gas bills in about 28 and winter one about 40
    when I spoke to the gas/electric people they said that these are the cheapest electric form of heating. I'm thinking of getting one, it might cut down the electric as presently I have a stupid little fan heater (in a pretty surround) that switches off before the room is even warm enough to sit comfortably in!

Look slike it certainly cuts down the gas bills! But what about the electric bill?

Thanks for all the replies so far. I have contacted the HA (again, 5th year running) to see if they are prepared to do anything. I'm not holding my breath!

Yes it will be difficult to keep warm if your home isn't energy efficient,

Here's a list of energy saving tips
    http://www.manchester.gov.uk/site/sc...5&pageNumber=2

I use twice as much gas as electricity but this year I'm trying my best to stay warm but cheaply.

All my light bulbs are energy saving bulbs but when I changed my kitchen I put in super saving LED lights that uses very little power. People must think I'm a mole as I nay light the room I'm in.

If you have a spare room have you considered taking in a lodger! I took a lodger in a few months back - it works out fine. He's up at 6am and out of the house before I get up. He works then goes to the gym then on to his girl friends house so I only see him briefly for 5 minutes a day - hardly invading my privacy and he pays me £400 a month which is tax free under the 'rent a room' scheme. So instead of you paying tax on a room you don't need rent it out and the extra income will help pay off your debts

You\ll need permission from your HA. It may affect your council tax and benefits but you'll still be quids in.

The added bonus you get someone who helps with the chores and if like my lodger he empties the bins, cleans the kitchen every day and offers a brew when he gets in. Everyone is a winner!

Light you back where have you been ?

Hi Jay, you have some good advice here already, but as a traditionally stingy Scottish git, here's mine

Definitely don't be afraid to change suppliers and definitely don't be afraid to challenge their bills, obviously a regular meter is cheaper than pre-payment, but in theory you cant get into debt with pre pay. I've both gas and electric now and decided on pre pay for my needs because of my dread of incurring debt, also you can get home internet top up devices now i use that allow you to top up with a card and or stick reader that plugs into you're PC via USB connection, i find this invaluable when i have flare ups that dont allow me to go outdoors.

I'm not sure if you own your property or rented? if rented and from Council, then you are in a strong position for upgrades, all depending on local council policy of course, but in my case after my sister kept prompting me, i got my council (after much persistent nagging) to replace my old storage heaters with modern gas central heating, please look into this, any responsible landlord should do this too, after all its their property as well that will benefit from proper heating in the colder months ... same goes for double glazing if its due and loft insulation.

As said before, don't heat rooms you don't use or use a little in the coldest months or just set at minimal.

Despite and because of the horrific price of gas and and electric these days, I use supplementary heating in the coldest of months and for this i prefer oil filled radiators over the halogen ones, places like Aldi, Lidl and more generally sell decent not too expensive ones in the run up to really cold weather ... the advantage of these i've found is that because of the thick oil medium inside them they will retain heat for a while even after turned off and if you buy one with a good thermostat it will switch on and off to the optimum temp and not use electricity all the time like halogen heaters do.

As regards electric devices I almost always power everything off at socket than leave on standby, an exception would be an internet router as you can lose your speed that way as it will detect a flaky connection and adjust speed down with some ISP's ... and fridges freezers of course make sure any thermostats are not too high, after a hot bath earlier I now know I need to set the water temp lower, whilst hot baths are good for my bones I almost always have to cool them down with cold water! Goes without saying that a short sharp electric shower is cheaper still too. I use an electric underblanket in winter put on about 15 minutes before i go to bed and then switch off and use good tog rated duvet in winter and lighter in the summer ... if its really cold a double duvet layer, wrapping up well during the day is always good advice too

Low wattage bulbs and those new curly energy bulbs help, i got a bunch of them here during a switching energy supplier for free phase of mine.

This bit may seem silly, but my Dads ritual in life every day before he passed away was to put the TV on and it stayed on all day until he went to bed, even if he never watched it and did something else, he'd leave doors open in winter and I'd always close them when visiting and he was happy to leave a hot tap running all the time while washing dishes, same as he had lights going over all the house I'd switch off ... a different generation when energy was cheap as chips of course, but one of my pet hates is waste and I look after my energy that way through need and external corporate greed ... probably!

Last but not least and more as an amusing anecdote, I knew of someone way before the energy crisis who was so stingy he'd boil enough water to fill a decent size Thermos flask to last a day and that would do him for cups of tea through the day ... god knows what he does now to save on energy

Winters approaching, its been a good summer for once, but stay safe and warm everyone and if it does get really cold, dont be scared to turn up the heating.

Quote Originally Posted by susieboots View Post

In the rooms not used during the day, I keep the curtains drawn so that any warmth (no matter how minimal) is not lost through the windows. I have made my own curtains with an extra lining of batting (fabric used in quilting).

Wishing you a much warmer winter, Susie
    Great advice there too Susie, I'd forgot about curtains, but i had thick thermal curtains sewed into mine by my younger sister a couple of years back and it made good difference, all ingredients bought on Ebay fairly cheap and looks nice too Someone mentioned using clear film to cover window recess inside? bad idea, my neighbour did that and i advised her not to, most windows have small ventilation ports that are needed for safety reasons, condensation not the least of them. I also use cheap long puppy or kitty draught excluder's for bottoms of doors

Good to see you on here again Susie, hope you are well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay123 View Post
    Look slike it certainly cuts down the gas bills! But what about the electric bill?
    Well it increases our monthly electric bill by £10, and before them keeping the house warm via central heating was a £50 a quarter more, so saving about 20 a quarter.. not much but every bit helps.

Definitely don't be afraid to change suppliers and definitely don't be afraid to challenge their bills, obviously a regular meter is cheaper than pre-payment, but in theory you cant get into debt with pre pay. I've both gas and electric now and decided on pre pay for my needs because of my dread of incurring debt, also you can get home internet top up devices now i use that allow you to top up with a card and or stick reader that plugs into you're PC via USB connection, i find this invaluable when i have flare ups that dont allow me to go outdoors.
    Hi Katana, just to let you know EDF Do Not Charge any extra for having a prepayment meter

Thanks for taking the time and trouble, everyone! Some good tips here, which I hope to use!