Thread: Total Hip Replacement and (now) Osteporosis!

Total Hip Replacement and (now) Osteporosis!

Hi, Hope all well. Not been on for a while and just wondering, the clue is in the title!

Apart from other illnesses/disabilities, a new problem has recently come to light. Circa 2000 I was diagnosed with Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. Treatment was 9 months chemotherapy. An immediate side effect (now lifelong) was peripheral neuropathy of hands and feet (I thought that would have been it) but a later side effect diagnosed couple of years ago
    (due to further scan taking place) was diagnosis of avascular necrosis of left hip (my right hip is going the same way).

As a result of AVN, I was trasferred to Wrightington Hospital, decision was made that a Total Hip Replacement is only way forward. Earlier this year I took part in study which required dexascans at beginning and end of 6 month trial. This has now shown Osteoporosis.

At this very moment this is all we know, investigations is due course will show which part(s) are affected. However, my question is, is it possible for a THR to take place if the bone involved has osteoporosis?

My next appointment with Wrightington is not too far off and will be answered, but my twisted logic says, would this be similiar to attempting to attach a new piece of timber to the original that suffers with woodworm/dry rot?

Above may sound daft, but look forward to your answers.
    MT, Spencer.

Account removed
    This will depend on the bone condition and where the damage is, if it's at the joint then no problem they will be replacing it anyway, if the bone is damaged within reason they have method of bone grafting and they can use longer rod into the damaged bone. or use other methods.

It will all depends on the bone it's self how badly it damaged. and the outlook for the future.

But of course bone density would be a major issue but again even that can be over come in some cases.

I sure your surgeons will look at all this.

.The funny thing they are looking at a very strong type of wood to replace badly damaged bone at this time, in America, lets hope they treat it for wood worm first.

Don't know how relevant it may be to your case, but many years ago our Leonberger dog was in a road accident and suffered a mutiple fracture to her femur. Was initally plated , but within 3 days it snapped while she was still in their care . Told a long intact bit of her femur had also fractured, and it was basically in several pieces with splinters. At this point we were told her bone density was also very poor and so the screws weren't holding which was why their first surgery had failed.

But the vet hosp in Edinburgh managed with bone grafts and fast intensive weightbearing physiotherapy to get her back onto her feet although her recovery took a bit longer.

Would think they'll explain all the ins and outs and possible complications and then let you make a decision. Make a note of any question you have , no matter how daft, to ask at your consultation. Imagine things like how advanced the osteoporosis is and your weight will come into the equation. And I think they'll try to get you back onto your feet ASAP, post surgey as weightbearing encourages bone density and stimulates bone growth and repair.

Hope things go well

My mother as osteoporosis and had a hip replacement several years it went ok so hopefully you'll be ok as previously said your surgeons will know more and will advise you what needs to be done just make sure they know the situation when you go there. Goodluck

Hi again, And many many thanks for your responses. Also found last night that some trials/study actually looked into this point and it was instigated by the pioneering hospital at Wrightington. Looked quite a detailed document/study and have not had the chance/brain capacity to read it!

Have appointment for this Thursday and will post news.
    spencer69.

My hubby has osteoporosis in his shouldres - physio has really helped with his pain.
    Also last week was told he has it in his knees.
    Old age creeping up in his case
    Of course whilst I am but a spring chicken - says she who is 'away with the fairies'
    Sea Queen