Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legal standing

Legal standing

My legal understanding has numerous large gaps, so perhaps there is some knowledge out on the internet waiting to help.
    My questions are fairly simple really.
    1/. As benefit claimant are you entering a legally binding contract?
    2/. What was the governments legal standing when it unilaterally broke that agreement earlier this year?

Thanks, in anticipation

I don't know about a legally binding contract in the exact sense of that phrase. But you do sign to say that all info you give is true, so I would think yes. If, as happens, people are caught cheating the system, then there is recourse to law for the DWP. So it sounds very much like a legal contract to me.
    Which agreement do you refer to, as this government have broken so many, lol.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote Originally Posted by Curiouserandcuriouser View Post
    My legal understanding has numerous large gaps, so perhaps there is some knowledge out on the internet waiting to help.
    My questions are fairly simple really.
    1/. As benefit claimant are you entering a legally binding contract?
    2/. What was the governments legal standing when it unilaterally broke that agreement earlier this year?

Thanks, in anticipation
    What are you referring to @ 2/. ????, more information needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jard View Post
    What are you referring to @ 2/. ????, more information needed.
    I became disabled in 2007 and was awarded benefits, since that time I have abided by the terms of that original claim, earlier this year the government decided to redefine that contact with, as far as I can tell no legal justification.

I became disabled in 2007 and was awarded benefits, since that time I have abided by the terms of that original claim, earlier this year the government decided to redefine that contact with, as far as I can tell no legal justification.
    I think you'll find 'that dog don't hunt', as they say on the other side of the pond. That particular benefit has been abolished (legally) and you have been 'invited' to apply for a subsequent one, whether you pass or fail that application, if you choose to undertake it, is another matter entirely.
    Last edited by Jard; 20-09-13 at 12:35.

I became disabled in 2007 and was awarded benefits,
    What Benefits were awarded to you?

earlier this year the government decided to redefine that contact
    Exactly what did the Government do and how and what did they redefine?

The more information that you give the greater the chance that someone on here will be able to help you.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Jard View Post
    I think you'll find 'that dog don't hunt', as they say on the other side of the pond. That particular benefit has been abolished (legally) and you have been 'invited' to apply for a subsequent one, whether you pass or fail that application, if you choose to undertake it, is another matter entirely.
    So the law was redefined?

So the law was redefined?
    Make of it what you want to, but those are the facts.

Account removed

Boy this is a can of worms yes you have signed a contract but that contract is basically that the government will pay you benefits that your legally entitled to. The Government can demand that you attend all medicals or doctors they see fit and that you undergo any tests or medical examinations as they deem are needed.

Now you say you entered into a contract in 2007 well that contract changed in 2008/9/10/11/12/13 with the ESA and WCA new system, and it will change again this year with the Universal benefits regime. In the past year the government has brought in hundreds of changes in the legislation.

But you can find out about this if you wish to read endless guff about rules .

The main rules are the government will pay you benefits if you agree to under go all medicals and are deemed to be disabled or sickness under the rules laid down by HM Government. https://www.gov.uk/government/polici...sure-work-pays

Quote Originally Posted by treborc View Post
    Boy this is a can of worms yes you have signed a contract but that contract is basically that the government will pay you benefits that your legally entitled to. The Government can demand that you attend all medicals or doctors they see fit and that you undergo any tests or medical examinations as they deem are needed.

Now you say you entered into a contract in 2007 well that contract changed in 2008/9/10/11/12/13 with the ESA and WCA new system, and it will change again this year with the Universal benefits regime. In the past year the government has brought in hundreds of changes in the legislation.

But you can find out about this if you wish to read endless guff about rules .

The main rules are the government will pay you benefits if you agree to under go all medicals and are deemed to be disabled or sickness under the rules laid down by HM Government. https://www.gov.uk/government/polici...sure-work-pays
    Thank you.
    Contracts with the government are meaningless I guess, rather like contracts with the devil.