Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there too much choice and too much new technology?

Quote Originally Posted by flowerangelx View Post
    Like I said..I prefer the actual books in my hand. I can surf the web on my phone or tablet.

I only read one book at a time so it'd be pointless for me to have a kindle
    I agree you do not need a Kindle. The reason is........You say you have a Tablet and you can use your Tablet as a e-Reader.

My wife has a iPad and she downloads books to it and reads it in Bed at night. This way she does not disturb me as since the iPad has a backlight it is not necessary to have a light on. Also her eyesight is not too good so she sets the font to a size she can read easily. Not only that the iPad is lightweight and this means she can read for longer as most books get too heavy for her after a time.

This is what suits us but by the sounds of it would not suit you, not everyone is the same and it is the differences that make us human.

e-Reader or a Real Book? Both are good and in the long run each person will decide what suits them best. Just have lots of FUN Reading as there is nothing like it.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    I agree you do not need a Kindle. The reason is........You say you have a Tablet and you can use your Tablet as a e-Reader.

My wife has a iPad and she downloads books to it and reads it in Bed at night. This way she does not disturb me as since the iPad has a backlight it is not necessary to have a light on. Also her eyesight is not too good so she sets the font to a size she can read easily. Not only that the iPad is lightweight and this means she can read for longer as most books get too heavy for her after a time.

This is what suits us but by the sounds of it would not suit you, not everyone is the same and it is the differences that make us human.

e-Reader or a Real Book? Both are good and in the long run each person will decide what suits them best. Just have lots of FUN Reading as there is nothing like it.
    But I don't want an E-reader..so I won't be using my tablet as one. I got my tablet because it fits in my bag and is easier to carry around than a laptop.

My partner also reads at night, we often lay in bed just reading a book and if one of us hasn't finished reading, we attach a little light to the top of our books..it's not bright enough to disturb the other person.

I'm not ruling out getting an e-reader in the future though..but for now, i'm happy with books

Quote Originally Posted by flowerangelx View Post

I'm not ruling out getting an e-reader in the future though..but for now, i'm happy with books
    That is the main thing, you are happy with real books and long may you enjoy reading them.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

my son's girlfriend uses the kindle app on her tablet but only uses it for the free books and really cheap ones she says if she's going to buy an expensive book she wants to see it in her hands

Account removed
    Any one see on TV today the new wall TV, your wall will become the screen they are talking of 50 inch being the smallest and they will actually be totally interactive, you will speak to your TV, channel five and it will turn, it will tell you that you have an incoming message on your internet or somebody may be coming to the door it will have the news papers and the who things such as reading email or having news written it will even have on line for people who are deaf or hard of hearing. Prices not known but bet it way above what I can afford

And they said yes this will be years away and then the chap stated the old types TV you know the new ones we have today will even stop production within a few years.

Boy how that for progress bet we have Ebay doing well as we disabled struggle to find the money to buy a license.

Nice to see Miliband saying the bed room tax would go if he gets in.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/9/300...zed-television

I used to be an avid reader,but as my sight deteriorates I find it a chore these days
    for this reason only I am considering a kindle (or something similar)
    however, I am not keen on new technology and each phone I have had has taken me years to know how to do stuff (as long as I know how to make an receive a call)
    I still have not yet tried using my dragon software and have had it months now,

Flower I understand perfectly I'm a keen reader. I compromise i use you google books as a kindle I suppose. I have been truly horrified by how much I love google books on my phone I have read classics I haven't read for years it's just a pissy they are cena to sell me books in to supply me with the free 1

There is only too much tech if you can't afford it..............I can't

And can you tell I am now using my dictaphone ability on the phone that should read pity pity not piss

plus it doesn't seem to know what the word keane is k e e n teen

and doesn't seem to understand my accent I know that I have 1 of those and accents where my tongue is lazy and words run into each other

Quote Originally Posted by Boo-dicca View Post
    And can you tell I am now using my dictaphone ability on the phone that should read pity pity not piss

plus it doesn't seem to know what the word keane is k e e n teen

and doesn't seem to understand my accent I know that I have 1 of those and accents where my tongue is lazy and words run into each other
    Reminded me of the comedy sketch with the 2 Scottish guy going into a voice controlled lift which ahs been programmed using Amereican accents.

My latest grouch is about Icloud where you can store files, and view films using access codes. Assumes we've all got the latest technology and decent broadband speed capability. Years ago was a bit miffed when Sky was offering free broadband to full package subscribers. We had the full package but couldn't make use of the free broadband because they didn't cover our area.