Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silver surfers

I'm a geek, not as much as Lighttouch but I do dabble in building PCs, Computer Programming (currently building a Raspberry Pi Webcam Server), GUI/Database Architecture for work.

I fix my laptop if it breaks, actually I've just reinastalled it - the first time in the 4 years i've owned it which is quite impressive for a Toshiba laptop, still working fine though - it's like new.

I own an iPhone 4, my wife has a 3GS and I recently bought her an iPad too. I think i'll be getting myself an iPad mini for Christmas.

I'd love a Mac, but I use too many programming software that only works on PCs.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I'm a geek, not as much as Lighttouch but I do dabble in building PCs, Computer Programming (currently building a Raspberry Pi Webcam Server), GUI/Database Architecture for work.

I fix my laptop if it breaks, actually I've just reinastalled it - the first time in the 4 years i've owned it which is quite impressive for a Toshiba laptop, still working fine though - it's like new.

I own an iPhone 4, my wife has a 3GS and I recently bought her an iPad too. I think i'll be getting myself an iPad mini for Christmas.

I'd love a Mac, but I use too many programming software that only works on PCs.
    Hi Paul - me a geek! Well I'm more interested in using software like the Adobe Creative Suite as it mainly involves design and use of a mouse.

I've only ever used Applemac technology starting with the Apple LE.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	apple-macintosh-01.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	783
    When I was made redundant then I bought an Applemac LC and worked from home.

Name:	300px-Apple_macintosh_lcII.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	784

Then I had an Apple G3 then a G4

Name:	Apple G3.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	168.2 KB 
ID:	785

For home use I first got an iMac when it was made from aluminium which I've still got. In case you're wondering there is no tower with the screen - the computer is built behind the screen.

Name:	imac 24 inch.jpeg 
Size:	3.4 KB 
ID:	786

Last year I upgraded to the ultra slim 27 inch iMac - just 5 mm thick at the edge - beautiful machine and as ever easy to use

Name:	Apple 27 inch.jpeg 
Size:	3.5 KB 
ID:	787

Today I'm revamping a disability groups brand image using illustrator. I like being creative but I'm a little long in the tooth for today's external design agencies. Still I do it for my own pleasure and it keeps those grey cells ticking over. And yes I do it on a voluntary basis as I'm a Trustee at this organisation.
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 20-09-13 at 08:40.

Night night I'm talking into my phone I am dictating this message to you :-)

that should read light light

remember the biggest computer is the brain I wasn't sure how to do this I looked at my phone and by a process of elimination work this out myself she says snog lee mmm can't use the word smugly!

Okay x now driving me crazy it doesn't say what I wanted to say I'm not going to bother correcting this I wonder how it was how was how was saying how it was I wonder how it will spell this

I used to build all of our PCs and be constantly upgrading memory, processors, graphics cards etc to keep up with the latest games. I'm much less interested in gaming these days and cant sit at a desk or table for very long so have drifted towards laptops. Plus the cost of building a tower PC vs buying own is slim these days so as not to make it worthwhile unless you are an enthusiast. I'm comfortable around spreadsheets, databases etc as I used them at work all of the time. I can sort out most day to day software problems but keep my head down as I was forever getting bothered by family and neighbours with badly maintained PCs, viruses .. usually because people bought hooky software from carboots or downloads (they never learn)

I would put the importance of my laptop with broadband well above mobiles, tvs and other gadgets in my priority of ownership